Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
This question is regarding stock identification to compute
capital gain/loss. The question is that is it not imperative that
if i sell a stock in account XXX, it the shares i bought in account xxx.

I have two brokarage accounts with a brokarage firm

Opened Account XXX with an initial deposit of $9000.00
on Jan/15/2000

Opened Acoount YYY with an initial deposit of $5000.00
on fEB/01/2000

Account Date Trans_Type No of Shares Price/Share Total Cost

XXX 02/05/00 Buy 400 SYBS 20$ $8000

YYY 03/15/00 Buy 300 SYBS 15$ $4500

YYY 05/30/00 Sell 300 SYBS 25$ $7500

XXX 04/10/00 Sell 400 SYBS 10$ $4000

How will i compute the gain/loss


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.