Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
so i don't want to use a 529 plan. I think I can see much better growth over the next 15-17 years by investing in the stock of select companies. 529s don't allow for this.

question is what is the best vehicle for doing so?

a regular trading account?

a Roth IRA? are only the contributions eligible for withdrawal or can earnings be withdrawn for education expenses? if only contributions then for terms of saving for college this option would be no better than a savings account (aside from the benefit to me that I could see capital appreciation earned off the money saved for college but that wouldn't benefit my son!)

is there another option outside of those two?

i gathered from some other posts that it would be disadvantageous to put either of those accounts in my sons name for this purpose... correct?

Thanks for any help!

Print the post  


Paying For School Guide
Trying to Tackle Tuition? The Motley Fool's Guide to Paying for School will help you fight those rising education costs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.