No. of Recommendations: 0
Hello,

Hypothetically, lets say that I have the bases covered with my funds, this is my "beat the market" stock strategy. Better put, I am diversified across classes and sectors. I have the following stocks, and or some, don't know why.

Opinions on any or all of the following:

PFE
GLW
EOG
TWX
CKP
FITB
SWWC

Just getting a feel or other Fools opinions.

Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 4
Opinions on any or all of the following:

Some will likely make money and some will likely lose money. Anyone who thinks they know the winners from losers probably aren't on this board anyway.

-murray
Look at the charts.
No. of Recommendations: 1
Look at the charts.

Astrological?
>> >> Look at the charts. << <<

>> Astrological? <<

Yeah. Cisco is in Taurus, so it must be time to buy -- bullish, right?

Gotcha. Just looking to see if others held these stocks and what their thoughts were.
Why not go to the specific boards for each stock?
OK,

The Doctor's charts (DX)

PFE, No.
GLW, if it were a long horizon I was looking at. Not sure this is a beat the market (anymore) but may have some juice left.
EOG, This could be a market smasher if the technology works out and it really produces gas, more than the chili dogs for dinner tonight.
TWX - Personally - just have something against them - lets say - I had a bad experience - besides I am not seeing market beating unless break up value can extract something.
CKP - Isn't this a hidden gem. Oh well then my endless devotion to the Fool makes me say, I can neither confirm nor deny - opps sorry, falshback
FITB - Well, I work for the FDIC so commenting on this would be a bad idea. READ THIS AS NO OPINION, NOT GOOD NOT BAD - JUST NO.
SWWC - It is hard to think of a regulated utility (I think) as smashing the market, but how much water can there be in the southwest and what will people pay for waste water treatment?? Any way not to knowledgable on SWWC.

Joel's Astro charts EOG, GLW

DrTarr

Thanks for your opinion. I am long GLW, so that is a hold for me, just my opinion and what I see as their potential.

PFE, I think there may be something better and will look into competitors.

EOG, made a buttload, time to sell, maybe?

TWX, have that as a sell.

CKP, good the past year for me. Picked up on a rec. Lots of potential.

FITB, time to sell, dog.

SWWC, has done well for me, bough 100 shares 5 years ago, now I have 173 with reinvested dividends. If nothing else, pays a healthy div. Stays.

It is kind of an unanswerable question -- What is your time horizon? How much risk (losses or losses befor a gain) are you willing to accept?
Others have suggested looking at the individual stock boards -- that will give you information about the stock, but virtually every single stock board is populated by owners or the stock in question. Owners rarely think a stock is a bad investment.

You might try the dart board -

Gordon
Atlanta
I have 30 years to draw any money. I have a high tolerance. I look at my individual stocks as making money above the market returns, so i look to lock gains and move forward.
If you have a 30 year horizon, I think you can beat any or all of these with a broad mutual fund investing in India. India is a growth story generally, it is not US dollar based, and a mutual fund avoids the individual stock risks associated with individual stocks. Regarding the individual stock risk it is real and not so easy to see. In 1999 Viox and Merck looks great is just one example without going to the extremes of Global Crossing, Enron, etc.

Specifically I suggest MINDX - Up a nice steady 20% since early December.

Gordon
Atlanta
Owners rarely think a stock is a bad investment.

Yes, but ask them to justify why the stock is a good buy NOW and take a look at how much sense their arguments make.

Specifically I suggest MINDX - Up a nice steady 20% since early December.

Thanks, I will look into that.
Can't comment on many of these, but GLW is one I USED TO hold (bought below $11 and sold after it rose to about $13) and wish to heaven I still had that one!

Most of my IRA money is in some mutual funds (including some foreign ones), but I have a few individual stocks, too.

My current "fun" stock is PTII.OB (oil sands in Alberta, Algeria, and elsewhere). I bought shares a year or so ago for 6 cents apiece. They later split backwards 1:10 or something, as I recall, but have since started roaring upward again and will do a 2.5 to 1 forward split this coming Tuesday, after hitting $5.50 this week.

I say "fun" because I pulled out half of my shares a month ago (maybe dumb, we'll see), which yielded me ALL of my initial investment back plus several hundred dollars. Now, what I have is truly all "gravy", win, lose or draw, so it IS "fun"! As of yesterday, my gravy" was worth over $2,500. We'll see what happens next!

Good luck.

Vermonter
Now, what I have is truly all "gravy", win, lose or draw, so it IS "fun"!

Why should you care whether the money you're playing the market with is "your" money or "the house"'s money? Your playing strategy shouldn't change. You should always use the best available strategy no matter where the money came from.
JRR7:

Why should you care whether the money you're playing the market with is "your" money or "the house"'s money? Your playing strategy shouldn't change. You should always use the best available strategy no matter where the money came from.

Do you invest (or trade)in equities? Your comment is obviously a "pat" observation, and is true, of course. However, trust me: it IS always also nice to know that the money you have invested is, truly, already all profit, regardless.

Vermonter
Do you invest (or trade)in equities?

No. I don't have the emotional willpower to follow a disciplined strategy in good times and bad. I'm too easily swayed by greed and fear.

But I do know that money is money, and taking some profits is part of a good trading strategy.
No. I don't have the emotional willpower to follow a disciplined strategy in good times and bad. I'm too easily swayed by greed and fear.

But I do know that money is money, and taking some profits is part of a good trading strategy.

Hi jrr7,

I had the same opinion, until this past year. My trades, due to fear-based trading in March and August cost me over $9000 in taxes. The net change to my portfolio had I not traded, was about nil. Just something to think about if you have a taxable portfolio, like mine.

Hedge
jrr7:

It's good that you know yourself. If you don't have the time or inclination to manage your own investments, figuring out when to move in or out of any of them, it may be best to simply diversify reasonably and let it all grow that way. Nothing wrong with that, if you use a good investment counselor.

There you have it. That's why I took my original investment off the table in that case. I knew it was kind of a "flaky" investment, so, when it moved up enough, I unplugged, took some money, and just let the "house money" ride.

So far so good! They announced a 2.5 to 1 stock split as of today, in fact, and have increased in price every day last week. I'm hoping profits from this one alone will cover our planned trip out west this summer.

Good luck to you.

Vermonter
Just remember that, if you trade within your IRA, there are NO capital gains taxes to worry about. Of course, losses are not deductible either, but it can be almost a "license to steal", since you pay nothing until the day you take any out.

IOW, if you're smart (or lucky) enough to rack up a million in profits, for example, and manage to keep it, you pay nothing until you start to remove some, and then you pay only on what you take out -- assuming you're past the age of 59-1/2, of course.

Vermonter
My trades, due to fear-based trading in March and August cost me over $9000 in taxes. The net change to my portfolio had I not traded, was about nil.

But you now have a much higher cost basis, so you came out ahead. Lucky you.

True, having Uncle Sam as a "partner" changes the equation somewhat.
Advertisement