Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ptb35 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121351  
Subject: Stock Option Tax Implications Date: 5/29/2000 8:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
In 1996, I was granted Nonqualified Stock Options that were exercisable on a schedule of 300 shares per year for five years. These options were granted at a cost of $25/share. The company I work for is now being bought by another company for cash at $40/share. Option holders will receive cash when the merger completes. This means I will receive $15/share for the options granted. For those options exercisable by the date of the merger, I will receive the cash immediately. For those shares not yet exercisable, I will receive the cash over the next two years.

Based on what I have read, the cash I receive will be taxed as income, not capital gains (so everything gets taxed at my tax rate). In effect, the date of exercise is the date of sale and the $15/share is all taxable income. Is this correct?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 36062 of 121351
Subject: Re: Stock Option Tax Implications Date: 5/29/2000 8:18 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
<< Based on what I have read, the cash I receive will be taxed as income, not capital gains (so everything gets taxed at my tax rate). In effect, the date of exercise is the date of sale and the $15/share is all taxable income. Is this correct? >>

Yes. You will also have to report the sale, but the $15 is added to your $25 basis, so the sale results in a slight gain or loss.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement