Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi all ..

This is my first post to this board, so please forgive me if this has been asked before.

My wife and I each opened a Sharebuilder Roth IRA in 2002. As a former GE Employee, I also rolled over my GE S&SP program (their version of a 401K) into a separate Rollover Traditional IRA. When it comes to 2002 stock gains/losses, I'm a little unclear on how to report them cosidering that my IRAs are tax-deferred / tax-free.

Q1) Stock trades in the Roth IRA's:

When reporting stock losses/gains for 2002, do I have to document Roth IRA and Traditional IRA trades on my tax return? I have trades in a non-tax deferred Ameritrade account, documenting those trades are obvious. However, if I had gains / losses that occured within a Roth IRA (I left the cash within the account and purchased shares in a different company) do these have to be reported on this year's return? I guess the same question would apply to my Traditional IRA (the rollover).

Q2) Rollover to Traditional IRA:

Since I rolled over my GE "401K" into a Traditional IRA, is that rollover contribution tax deductible?

Best regards & Thanks!

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.