Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: R4noff One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37  
Subject: Re: JDS-Uniphase Date: 7/14/1999 1:19 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Stock splits, in essence, are non-events. It is analgous to choosing between a pizza cut into 8 pieces versus one cut into 4 pieces. You would have the same amount of pizza, just larger or smaller shares of it. When a company like JDS-Uniphase announces a 2-for-1 stock split, they are just cutting each of the four pieces of the pizza in half. Or in their case, each of the millions of outstanding shares of stock. The share price will fall by 50% to compensate for the doubling of the number of shares.

That said, you can argue that there are effects of a stock split. Companies split their stock knowing that their stock will seem more affordable for investors. It is human nature to think that a $25 stock is cheaper than a $125 stock. For grins, check out a stock that NEVER has split, Berkshire Hathaway (BRK.A), which as I write is quoted at $70,900 per share, which is down from the high this year of $81,100 per share.

Often, upon announcement of an upcoming split, you will see a short-term run-up in stock price. Then when the split happens, the price comes down again. My advice is to ignore the split, except to enjoy owning twice as many shares as you bought. In general, just be assured that it is a positive sign that a company is splitting their stock - it is evidence that you own a growing company with an increasing share price.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement