UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sassygirl6 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884576  
Subject: Stocking Up run Amok Date: 1/11/2003 6:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 26
First, let me explain that I hate to run out of things and that the Casa de Sassy is well-stocked at all times.

Toilet paper is purchased by the bale (2 Charmin 24 packs for $10 recently at KMart).

Shampoo is purchased by the largest size available (bought a half-gallon over a year ago that I just used the last of, an expensive brand that was 50% off - maybe $5?)

Food, if it can be stored for a long time is "super-sized" and if there's a good sale, I'll get a large quantity.

Sometimes I find my brand of mascara (L'Oreal, because we know I'm worth it) for $1 off, or sometimes its packaged 2 for the price of 1; I'll buy 4 or 5 when that happens.

Point is, when it's something I know I'll continue to need (all of the above are examples of things I'll need for the rest of my life), I want to keep plenty on hand.

I started participating in a "pantyhose club" in maybe '94. The company sends you 6 pair of pantyhose each month, and you send them back a check. You specify what color(s) you want before they send your next order, so you have an assortment of what you need. The quality is very good. It takes a lot to wear a hole in these pantyhose, and I've seldom experienced runs, either. But it began to pile up. A few years back (maybe '99?) I changed my order so I'd only get new pantyhose every other month. It continued to pile up, but you see, this club had incentives! With every order you earned points toward free merchandise! I should have had enough points for a new car, but that wasn't in the Catalog of Free Gifts.

Finally, about a month ago I realized that this every-other-month expense was something I could cut for a while (being unemployed and all), so I finally used my points to get some free stuff (a new blender, toaster, water purifier thing, lined wooden storage box for silver service, and something else I can't remember). They were out of stock on the CD player I wanted, and didn't even have DVD players, something I could actually use. I cancelled my membership.

Today I looked at the container where I keep my pantyhose. It was overflowing. Now, this is unused pantyhose, in unopened packages. I have lots more that's been worn and is still perfectly good. The tally of unopened packages?

107 pair.

Keep on top of this sort of thing, folks. I didn't and now I find myself with enough pantyhose to last me the rest of my life, literally.

The only bright side is, as Forrest Gump would say, "One less thing, right?"

Sassy

ps - black, off-black, taupe, mocha, navy, grey, beige, suntan, nude, off-white, and white and sorted by gradation in shade from lightest to darkest, in case you were wondering

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (27) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement