UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 3muttsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: Stock/mutual fund values Date: 3/25/2005 11:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, Fools.

I have a question about historical prices for stocks and mutual funds. My retirement site gives me just the balance in each of my funds/company stock and I can get the contribution/dividend amounts and dates. However, nowhere does it tell me how many shares were purchased.

Now, I can back into the number of shares if I know what the price was on the purchase date. My question is, is there anywhere to get a stock or mutual fund's closing price for, say, a couple of days ago. If I'm busy or just forget, I may not enter this into MS Money till a couple of days after the fact. Yahoo! just gives me the previous day's closing price. I don't really want to pay for this, if possible.

TIA
3MM
Print the post Back To Top
Author: billjam Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45263 of 74759
Subject: Re: Stock/mutual fund values Date: 3/26/2005 12:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Odd that they wouldn't give the shares purchased as well as the amount. I can't think of anyplace online that has old prices. You could probably get recent newspapers at the library. Ask at the desk if they don't still have them in the reading room. Not terribly convenient but maybe the only solution for now. You could also initiate a request to the site manager to add the share information.

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45264 of 74759
Subject: Re: Stock/mutual fund values Date: 3/26/2005 7:44 AM
You can get historical prices at Yahoo, but they are not completely reliable, from what I have heard.

I use Fasttrack for charting and historical prices.

I have a friend who uses Quotes Plus, and so far is very pleased.

Author: 3muttsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45265 of 74759
Subject: Re: Stock/mutual fund values Date: 3/26/2005 10:29 AM
Joel,

I assume Fasttrack and Quotes Plus are pay sites?

3MM

Author: joelxwil Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45266 of 74759
Subject: Re: Stock/mutual fund values Date: 3/26/2005 11:14 AM
Yes, for prices, check out www.fasttrack.net and http://www.qp2.com/

Quotes plus allows you to do extensive screening for stocks.

Author: rkmacdonald Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45267 of 74759
Subject: Re: Stock/mutual fund values Date: 3/26/2005 11:18 AM
I use Yahoo for historical pricing. I've found them to be fairly accurate, especially for things like past closing prices.

Go to: http://finance.yahoo.com/ and type the ticker symbol in the box. Click GO, and when the new page opens, look for 'Historical Prices' on the left side. Click on that and you get several ways to look at historical prices for that symbol.

Russ

Author: Fool2Believe Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45268 of 74759
Subject: Re: Stock/mutual fund values Date: 3/26/2005 11:26 AM
I prefer MSN's charting.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/charts/charting.asp

It does require downloading and installing an ActiveX control, so it is IE only.

Regards,
Mike

Author: 3muttsmom Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 45279 of 74759
Subject: Re: Stock/mutual fund values Date: 3/26/2005 9:09 PM
Russ,

Thanks! Don't know how I missed that one!

3MM

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement