Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Insigne123 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121585  
Subject: Stocks Bought & Sold at Different Prices Date: 2/23/2001 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How do we figure profit taxes on individual stocks bought & sold at different prices and in varied lots?
How can it be that I can find no information that each trader must confront each April? Does Quicken fill this bill?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: yankeesmyteam Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47057 of 121585
Subject: Re: Stocks Bought & Sold at Different Prices Date: 2/23/2001 6:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
if you sold them at the same time you can use average cost. If you sold at different times you use first in first out FIFO it will make it easier, because if you try to start matching lots you may miss a lot etc..

do fifo or avg cost

Author: irasmilo Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47060 of 121585
Subject: Re: Stocks Bought & Sold at Different Prices Date: 2/23/2001 7:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
if you sold them at the same time you can use average cost. If you sold at different times you use first in first out FIFO it will make it easier, because if you try to start matching lots you may miss a lot etc..

You can NEVER use average cost when dealing with stocks, only mutual funds.

Ira

Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 47068 of 121585
Subject: Re: Stocks Bought & Sold at Different Prices Date: 2/23/2001 8:21 PM
Recommendations: 1
yankeesmyteam writes:

I reply:

Average cost is not available for sales of individual stocks. However, if the original poster sold his or her entire holding in a position at the same time, you may be saying that the calculation method doesn't matter because the result is the same no matter how you do it, and that's almost true. You would still need to use FIFO to determine how much of the basis belongs to short-term shares and how much to long-term shares. --Bob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement