Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jjaym Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2753  
Subject: Stocks for 2008 Date: 1/6/2008 3:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is year seven of my end of year exercise to identify what I believe are my top 10 holdings for the coming year. These are the 10 stocks that I already have in my portfolio, that for one reason or another I feel have the best chance of doing well in the next year or so. These are all, of course, only my opinion, and I'd hate for anyone to invest in these, lose their money and blame me. So don't even think of investing in these without doing your own research. Targets are my naive idea of what I think is fair value for each of these. Not much turnover this year. Three (3) stocks new and they've probably all been on these lists in the past. Most of my targets have been reduced, due to the pessimistic projections for the next year.

1) LTD - Limited moves to the number one spot after a bad year. Looking for better things in 2008 I'll reduce the target from $40 target I had last year to $35.

2) WM - The contrarian in me cannot resist Wamu (although maybe it should) What a lousy 2007. It might not bounce back in 2008, but I think long term this should provide an attractive return. Target reduced to $35.

3) AMAT - Applied Materials returns after finishing not all that far from where it started in 2007. Target = $30

4) PFE - Another ho-hum year for Pfizer. Moves down to #4 since so many other stocks did even worse this year, dropping into even more undervalued territory. Good fundamentals and dividend. Target = $50.

5) HD – Home Depot is still undervalued. Housing slump has hurt it, but should recover. When is the question. Target = $45

6) BBOX - Black Box returns, but now under a new CEO. Still looks good fundamentally. Target = $50.

7) JAS – Jo-Ann is so beaten down, I think it has to go up from here. I think it's worst problems are behind it. Target = $20.

8) SCHL - Harry Potter comes to an end, which may have some speculators running for the doors. Target = $60.

9) TLGD - Tollgrade is one I just can't quite give up on. It seems to almost always eke out at least a small profit and from time to time seems on the verge of turning things around. Priced under book value and in the midst of another management change. Target = $20.

10) DIS - Not quite sure why Disney rose into the top 10 this year, but had decent earnings and the projections look pretty good. Target = $50.

Gone from last year's list are T, KO, JNJ, although I continue to hold them in a portfolio of about 20 stocks. Maybe this'll be the year I'll blow away the benchmarks.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement