UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: akakerm Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75776  
Subject: stocks for retirement-help Date: 1/8/2002 3:08 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello

I am slowly working on my retirement savings. Have a roth ira, and have been purchasing some indivdual stocks. One of my purchases is Tommy Hilfiger (tom). I purchased my shares at around 10 dollars a share. The price is now around 16. (would have been nice if my lucent purchase was as good).

I am looking at long term investing. None of the day trader world for me. However, I am wondering if it would be a good thing for me to sell these shares, but funds in my IRA and invest anything that is left in the other shares I have that I am waiting to go up.

Looking for opinions on long term investing for retirement. Would it be better for me to keep the stock? Or what?

Thanks
David
Print the post Back To Top
Author: rkmacdonald Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33174 of 75776
Subject: Re: stocks for retirement-help Date: 1/8/2002 3:48 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Author: akakerm Date: 1/8/02 3:08 PM Number: 33171
One of my purchases is Tommy Hilfiger (tom). I purchased my shares at around 10 dollars a share. The price is now around 16. (would have been nice if my lucent purchase was as good).

I am looking at long term investing. None of the day trader world for me. However, I am wondering if it would be a good thing for me to sell these shares, but funds in my IRA and invest anything that is left in the other shares I have that I am waiting to go up.

Looking for opinions on long term investing for retirement. Would it be better for me to keep the stock? Or what?

I'd love to be able to tell you, but my crystal ball is on the fritz <grin>. Seriously, if you want to invest in individual stocks, you have to do your own careful research and reach your own conclusions. In general never hold a stock after it has gone up or after it's gone down unless you still feel it is still a solid investment. Conversely, never sell a stock unless you have a better stock to invest in.

I think annual rebalancing is very very important. I hold a portfolio of 20 stocks with my money spread evenly among them. Then at the end of each year, I verify the 20 stocks I want to hold for the coming year, and I rebalance to spread my money out evenly again. This forces me to 'sell high and buy low' - not a bad philosophy!!

The question is: is LU still as good a company as when you bought it originally? Has anything changed in its fundamentals that would make you sell it? How about TOM? Has its recent price run-up made it less attractive?

If you sold LU, and bought more TOM, what philosophy would you be following? What if you sold some TOM and bought more LU?

Just something to think about. If you are going to do your own investing, you have to make your own decisions. And, when you do, please post your thoughts here. We'd all love to see them.

RK

Author: wjochem Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 33182 of 75776
Subject: Re: stocks for retirement-help Date: 1/9/2002 9:27 AM
This may or may not be helpful but check out the DRIP Boards here on the Fool. Most are long term buy and holders who make routine purchases, usually monthly. Some do this directly through the company if the company offers a DRIP Plan and others do this through an IRA similar to what you have. As far as selling goes, that is usually a personal matter based on your goals and investment stratagy.

Wayne

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement