Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: GinnyW Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Stocks or bonds? Date: 7/17/2005 6:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
I have not retired yet and haven't reached even the minimum retirement age yet(but I'm getting closer) Almost everything I have (which isn't enough) is in stocks. I have maybe 5% in bonds.
2 weeks ago I fell at home because I am innately clumsy and broke a couple of vertebra in my lower back. I am about out of sick time so I am going back to work tomorrow and hopefully will do ok.
Suddenly I don't feel comfortable with having darn near everything I own in stocks. What if I had to retire without benefits tomorrow and the stock market crashed at the same time? How would I finish paying off my house? Do you think I should put enough in short term bonds or cash to at least pay off the house should something happen? As it is, I am 7-9 years from retirement and would like the house paid for when I retire. Or am I just over reacting?
Thanks for your time.
Ginny
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Ubiquiti Analysis
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement