Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
I sold several shares of JNJ stock that was part of an employee stock purchase plan. How do I account for this on my income tax return. This is the first time I have ever sold any stock and I can't make heads or tails of Schedule D. My taxes are fairly simple and I always do them myself, but this has me stumped! I don't really want to pay someone to do my taxes so I hope someone can help. I was laid off from that company 6 yrs ago but have purchased additional shares thru the dividend reinvestment on that account. How do I know how much I paid for these stock since they were bought over several years. Do I just add the amount I received onto my total income?
Any help would be appreciated!
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.