UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 757693  
Subject: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/12/2013 12:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 20
I think it's abundantly clear that negotiating with Democrats is a useless and destructive endeavor. Republicans should instead introduce bills that solve the problems that we are facing:

1) Debt limit - introduce a bill that increases the debt limit annually for the next 10 years at a rate that is less than GDP growth. This will reduce our debt as a percentage of GDP and will eliminate the constant bickering over the debt limit.

2) Taxes - introduce a tax reform bill that substantially broadens the tax base and reduces tax rates without reducing revenue. Introduce another bill that substantially reduces the corporate income tax rate, broadens the tax base, and moves to a territorial tax system.

3) Entitlements - introduce a bill that reduces entitlement spending with greater cuts the farther that you go out and greater cuts the higher your income.

4) Current spending - after Obama submits what will likely be another ridiculous budget for FY 2014, vote against it. Then don't negotiate with Democrats. Instead introduce a bill that cuts discretionary spending for FY 2014. Don't worry about what happens going 10 years out because future Congresses aren't obligated in any way to follow the plan anyway.

Etc.

They will all get voted down by Democrats, but Republicans have to be seen as trying to solve problems and getting blocked by Democrats, the NEW "Party of No."

Republicans are extremely foolish if they think that this is a game that can be won on Democratic terms.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666027 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/12/2013 12:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
Republicans are extremely foolish if they think that this is a game that can be won on Democratic terms.

AMEN

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666031 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/12/2013 12:40 PM
AMEN
=========

Sexist!

Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666087 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/12/2013 6:30 PM
Recommendations: 3
"I think it's abundantly clear that negotiating with Democrats is a useless and destructive endeavor."

In MadCap bizzaro world perhaps it is clear.

In the real world, it isn't so clear because the Republicans have never really started negotiating with Democrats. Actual negotiating involves making compromises.

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666090 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/12/2013 6:58 PM
Recommendations: 4
"I think it's abundantly clear that negotiating with Democrats is a useless and destructive endeavor."

In MadCap bizzaro world perhaps it is clear.

In the real world, it isn't so clear because the Republicans have never really started negotiating with Democrats. Actual negotiating involves making compromises.

Umm

Republicans did compromise. They agreed to increase both taxes and spending, just not as much as Democrats wanted. That's a compromise. Not a good one for Republicans, but it's a compromise.

Author: SooozFool Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666104 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/12/2013 10:06 PM
Recommendations: 2
3) Entitlements - introduce a bill that reduces entitlement spending with greater cuts the farther that you go out and greater cuts the higher your income.

I would like to see the Republicans explain how much will be left over to spend on our own citizens once taxes and spending priorities are set at the levels the Republicans find acceptable. The spending cuts can't be rhetorical; they have to be specific.

Show the American public exactly what "small government" would look like.

Author: CM001 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666117 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/12/2013 11:23 PM
Republicans should instead introduce bills that solve the problems that we are facing:

Of course, that is called governing. Do Republicans know that? They are too busy introducing and withdrawing or filibustering their own bills. I mean filibustering is how GOP senators want to behave but filibustering one's own bill, that is something.

It is time, GOP stops electing these folks and sent folks who are serious about their values. The current congress (both dems and GOP) are only fighting primaries and not general election because of re-districting exercises have left most seats "SAFE". Because of that every congressman is only moving to extreme and moving to center.

This is not republican or democratic problem, but american problem.

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666267 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/13/2013 10:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
They will all get voted down by Democrats, but Republicans have to be seen as trying to solve problems and getting blocked by Democrats, the NEW "Party of No."

But for that to work, the Republicans first have to be SEEN.

They need a media presence saying what needs done.

They need a media presence saying what they have done.

What they have is ... a media that, when they want to know what to say Republicans have done, ask the Democrats.

Now for the media presence saying what needs to be done, they could do far worse than to retroactively adopt Senator Barack Obama. He's on record denouncing high deficit spending. And saying that the need to raise the debt limit is proof of the administration's incompetence. And a few other interesting things. Play those clips. A lot. Make the Democrats, including the President, face off against THAT.

But for the media presence saying what they have done... whom do they have?

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666272 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/13/2013 10:08 PM
Now for the media presence saying what needs to be done, they could do far worse than to retroactively adopt Senator Barack Obama. He's on record denouncing high deficit spending. And saying that the need to raise the debt limit is proof of the administration's incompetence. And a few other interesting things. Play those clips. A lot. Make the Democrats, including the President, face off against THAT.

Exactly!!!

Geez! It's not like Owebama isn't on video record. Make him own his own words.

Author: TheBaronAndrew Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 666470 of 757693
Subject: Re: Stop negotiating with Democrats. Date: 1/14/2013 10:52 PM
AMEN
=========

Sexist!

It's also grammatically incorrect. You can have "a man" but not "a men". <grin>

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement