No. of Recommendations: 0
I just paid off all my college credit card debts and took another Foolish step forward by setting up an IRA account with Datek. Unfortunately, I meant for it to be a Roth IRA but it was set up as a Traditional IRA account. I'm not sure who screwed up, but in order to fix the problem their customer support said that I had to:

1. Sign up for a new account specified as a Roth IRA Conversion account.
2. Fill out a request for distribution/conversion form in order to move my assets over.

I did this already, but I just realized that there might be some tax consequences. I already filed my 2000 tax return based on the assumption that I would put the max $2000 into a Roth IRA. Since it went into a traditional IRA account and now it's being "converted" to a Roth, will I have to pay taxes on it despite not reporting a Traditional IRA contribution as a deduction? I'm hoping that I can avoid anymore paperwork=headaches.

Datek customer support said that there wasn't anything else needed, but they added a caveat to consult a tax professional so I'm not very confident.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.