Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kpim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 55855  
Subject: Strange Question Date: 11/8/2000 4:47 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This is a weird one. I'm really interested in the answers, though.

How would you feel about eating a food that had been prepared using human milk instead of cow's milk?

I know I could do a poll, but I'm interested in response, not just yay or nay.

I'm wondering because in a few months I'm going to have a supply of frozen milk that it would be an awful shame to throw away. I'd donate it to a human milk bank, but a lot of it has meds (tylenol & the like) that they won't take.

-Kelly
Print the post Back To Top
Author: paulso One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12508 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/8/2000 5:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hmm. Doesn't gross me out like it will some people since it's nature's perfect food for brand new humans. But since it's a body fluid, I think I would confine it to family members and I would also confine it to baked items. IMHO. Blessings to you for nursing your baby, BTW!

Author: Beejayw1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12510 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/8/2000 6:08 PM
Recommendations: 0
I'm interested in response, not just yay or nay.

If I had a baby that needed milk, I would accept it in a heartbeat. It's the best food in the world for babies, and nourishing a baby is just what it's meant to do.

If, however, you offered me a glass of it to dunk my gingersnaps in, I probably would decline, and would have some trouble explaining my reasons.

Let me give it a try: The thing about breast milk is that you can't easily divorce the substance from the emotions and associations surrounding how it comes about. There is the notion of nurture, of dependence, of cuddling - all the lovely things that begetting, bearing and parenting a baby bring to mind (we won't talk about colic, croup and poopy diapers).

So it's not just a glass of milk that is being presented, it's all those associations. The feeling is almost as though I would be intruding.

Now, let's not get into the 'well, cow's milk is meant to nurture calves', because as illogical as it seems, I think people view a substance that is cultivated specifically for human consumption and is purchased in cartons from a grocery store (for the most part) differently from something that was secreted by a friend for her baby.

So my vote goes to keeping it in the family and use it for baking.

I would, incidentally, be touched and flattered that the offer was made, and would not consider you wierd.

Beej

Author: kpim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12511 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/8/2000 6:31 PM
Doesn't gross me out...

Good! It shouldn't, but that's a whole other OT post! ;-)

But since it's a body fluid...

It is in fact! But, the CDC doesn't reccomend the usual body fluid handling precautions for care providers. I don't have anything handy to back this up, but I think the chance of getting 'something' from the breast milk, particularly after freezing is pretty remote.

...I would also confine it to baked items.

I was actually thinking along these kind of lines anyway. Casseroles or baked goods.

Thank you for your non-ICK! reply.

Blessings to you for nursing your baby, BTW!

Thank you. Blessings to you and yours as well!

-Kelly

PS She is just the most beautiful little thing, if I do so say as I shouldn't !

-K

Author: kpim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12512 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/8/2000 6:39 PM
If I had a baby that needed milk, I would accept it in a heartbeat. It's the best food in the world for babies, and nourishing a baby is just what it's meant to do.

If, however, you offered me a glass of it to dunk my gingersnaps in, I probably would decline, and would have some trouble explaining my reasons.

If you had a baby and needed it, I'd probably offer it!

I'm unlikely to offer you some for your gingersnaps, though. Mostly because it's not homogenized and has an annoying habit of separating if it isn't consumed fairly quickly. I know, too much information.;-)

So my vote goes to keeping it in the family and use it for baking.

Probably what'll do. There is also a disclosure issue here. Am I obligated to tell that the milk came from a very nearby cow??

I would, incidentally, be touched and flattered that the offer was made, and would not consider you wierd.

*blush* Awww, shucks..

Thanks for replying. I really value the thoughtful replies I get here.

-Kelly

PS It wouldn't be very Foolish NOT to breastfeed, now would it?? ;-)

Author: greet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12513 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/8/2000 7:23 PM
Am I obligated to tell that the milk came from a very nearby cow??

Well, no, not unless someone in the family is allergic to the meds that may be in it.
I think I'd tell them up front, or I'd keep my mouth shut forever. Waiting until someone has consumed the product and then telling them is kinda mean, although amusing.

A friend of mine, a petite person, told me that when she was pregnant or nursing, her breasts (and resulting milk supply) grew to enormous proportions. She gave it to the cats, gave it to the dogs, used it as creamer in her coffee...another acquaintance did the same thing and was sprayed with coffee when she told her sister what she was drinking. ;o)

greet.
No thanks, I think I'll use the prepackaged stuff.

Author: jgspitz Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12519 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/9/2000 11:58 AM
Personnally, I LOVE human milk.....but only when fresh from the source. :o)

I'm a cad....and I admit it.

Author: rvbradish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12521 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/9/2000 1:26 PM
Hi, John:

"Personnally, I LOVE human milk.....but only when fresh from the source."

Then you would have been in Hog Heaven, if you had been with me in Athens, Greece, many years ago. One of the, er, ah, hostesses, in one of the bars I used to frequent (Charlie's Bar, if you must know) had an unfortunate accident and became pregnant thereby. A few month's later, she took unholy glee in running around the room anointing various chosen customers' beer with her fresh milk, squeezed from the natural dispenser on the spot. She was known, quite affectionately (?), as "BIG Mamou", for obvious reasons. She WAS very virtuous, though; only inviting "friends" home with her. (Of course, she didn't have an enemy in the world.)

(Grin)

Ray

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12530 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/9/2000 6:42 PM
How would you feel about eating a food that had been prepared using human milk instead of cow's milk?

Eccch!

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: kpim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12536 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/9/2000 7:00 PM

Eccch!

Not very informational- but heartfelt I'm sure!

It's really very nutritious. What are your objections other than just "It seems icky?"

-Kelly

Author: greet Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12537 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/9/2000 7:57 PM
Well, I'm not proud of it, but there's a certain amount of "ick" to my response as well.
There's nothing logical about it, and it's not based on reason, although I could probably scrounge and come up with some semi-logical baloney.
Let me see if I can figure it out.
It's pretty gut level.
I'm not a mother, but I was breastfed.
I think it has something to do with the intimacy factor, because it doesn't feel the same as my reaction to eating dog meat or live squid.
I think it's because there's this general idea in my culture (which is, perhaps, roughly the same as yours), that breasts are for sexual intimacy unless it's a case of maternal/infant intimacy, and then it's okay and semi-sacred. But only between a particular mother and her particular child, unless there's a milk bank or an emergency involved.
See? I told you it wasn't logical.
Then there's the whole thing of body fluids and whether or not it's pastuerized, so if you baked, say, muffins, using breast milk as part of the liquid ingredients, I might try them, but if you offered me a breast milk smoothie, I'd probably decline.
Oh, heck, I'll usually try anything once (except dog meat, which would almost be cannibalism, or live squid),
so if you were being the perfect hostess I'd probably try either one. Unless you were sick.
Long, rambling, and as honest as I can be.
greet. ;o)

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12542 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/10/2000 1:24 AM

I know I could do a poll, but I'm interested in response, not just yay or nay.

I don't know if you know this, but human milk does not taste at all like cow's milk. Mom's milk (nicer name) is much sweeter, and a lot more watery.
As far as using it in food, one time Hubby drank all the half & half before leaving for work. The rat left me high and dry for my coffee. I was pumping for my daughter, so I dumped some into the coffee. It didn't taste all that great, but I'm used to half & half.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12543 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/10/2000 1:35 AM
Recommendations: 1
PS She is just the most beautiful little thing, if I do so say as I shouldn't !

All Moms should brag about their beautiful little girls. I think it's actually a law in some areas. Has "Little Love" got Daddy tightly wrapped around her little fingers yet?

I was joking with Hubby and said, "Yeah, I know you're planning on replacing me real soon with those two little, blue-eyed, blondes of ours."
He said, "What do you mean "planning" lady?"

There's nothing more fun that to watch a loving father hopelessly wrapped around his daughter's little fingers.

Congrats on a lovable bundle of joy.

Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12545 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/10/2000 3:09 AM
What are your objections other than just "It seems icky?"

None at all, except I also can't get past a line which comes, I think, from a Nichols & May routine: "I didn't breastfeed you 14 years for this!"

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: kpim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12555 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/10/2000 9:16 AM
I think it's because there's this general idea in my culture (which is, perhaps, roughly the same as yours), that breasts are for sexual intimacy unless it's a case of maternal/infant intimacy, and then it's okay and semi-sacred.

Yes, there is a similar response in my neck of the woods, only lots people leave out the maternal/infant part. ;-P

Then there's the whole thing of body fluids and whether or not it's pastuerized, so if you baked, say, muffins, using breast milk as part of the liquid ingredients, I might try them, but if you offered me a breast milk smoothie, I'd probably decline.

I was thinking along the baking lines. Like I told someone else, I probably wouldn't offer you a smoothie-mostly because the milk isn't homogenized, but could easily be pasturized at home.

...as honest as I can be.

A person can't really ask for more than that!

-Kelly

Author: kpim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12556 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/10/2000 9:21 AM
I don't know if you know this, but human milk does not taste at all like cow's milk.

Yes, very sweet. I, of course, tried it so I would know if my daughter refused a bottle of stored milk for some reason if the problem was taste. Also, out of curiosity.

Mom's milk (nicer name)

I usually refer to it as Mommy Milk (MM).

As far as using it in food, one time Hubby drank all the half & half before leaving for work. The rat left me high and dry for my coffee. I was pumping for my daughter, so I dumped some into the coffee. It didn't taste all that great, but I'm used to half & half.

LOL. Do you know how many times I've heard this scenario???

-Kelly

Author: kpim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12557 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/10/2000 9:25 AM
Has "Little Love" got Daddy tightly wrapped around her little fingers yet?

YES. She's the spittin' image of him. Some days he's so proud, I actually think he might rupture. Only seven months old, and clearly in charge of her Daddy.

I was joking with Hubby and said, "Yeah, I know you're planning on replacing me real soon with those two little, blue-eyed, blondes of ours."
He said, "What do you mean "planning" lady?"

I already know I've been replaced !

Congrats on a lovable bundle of joy.

Thanks!

-Kelly

Author: kpim Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12558 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/10/2000 9:27 AM
What are your objections other than just "It seems icky?"

None at all, except I also can't get past a line which comes, I think, from a Nichols & May routine: "I didn't breastfeed you 14 years for this!"

LOL. And what's wrong with that???!!

-Kelly

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12592 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/11/2000 1:51 AM

BTW, it isn't very good for an adult waist line as it is extremely fattening.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12594 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/11/2000 2:04 AM
BTW, when I was pumping for Munchkin #1, I kept the milk frozen in bottles all set to go, just needed defrosting and heating. When she finished nursing, I had about ten bottles sitting in my freezer that I forgot about.

Author: rvbradish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12614 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/12/2000 4:18 PM
"or live squid"

I wonder just WHERE you came up with THIS idea. I've eaten squid (kalamari, kalamarakia) many, many times, but have never (ever) heard of ANYONE even trying to eat live squid. Squid is not a shellfish such as oysters or clams. (I can just picture someone biting into the ink-sac.)

Ray

Author: rvbradish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12615 of 55855
Subject: Re: Strange Question Date: 11/12/2000 4:31 PM
"All Moms should brag about their beautiful little girls"

Hah!! Scrawny, ugly little whiny brats! ALMOST as bad as scrawy, ugly little whiny BOYS. At least they grow up to be women (if they're allowed to live that long).

(Grin)

Ray

P.S. KIDS!!! Bah, humbug. And grandkids, nephews, nieces, etc. are even WORSE! (Except MINE, of course.)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement