Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: psuasskicker Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 9208  
Subject: Strategy Discussion - Doubling Your Pawns Date: 2/28/2002 11:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
It's a slow day on the board it appears, and I'd like to turn this board if not into a playing board, one that definitely gets good discussions on strategies going. So I'm gonna kick this off here and get some general thoughts around certain strategies by noting a few things. I'd like to turn this into an opinion-based discussion (whenever we have them, not just for this thread). This serves a few purposes...

1) Helps teach the game to those with less experience. The more experienced people we get on the boards, the more we all will learn. I think everyone here has something they can teach, and something they can learn, and I wanna use and abuse that to death, cause that's why we're all at the Fool to start with. This will teach us not only how to use certain strategies, but just that they exist to begin with (which many of us will not know about)

2) Identifies strategies and ways to play around them. What better way to learn how to play the game better than to read and discuss why a certain strategy would be a good thing or a bad thing, or could be both? I think we'll find that nearly every "strategy" we discuss has its upside and its downside. It creates some sort of imbalance, and then you choose to play around it or not. If an imbalance is created, a player must often do everything in their power to make it work to their benefit. There will very rarely be a circumstance in which there is an imbalance for one player that there is no possible way it can be turned into a positive imbalance. This should help us learn how to do it.

3) Serves as references to an FAQ sheet. It'll be nice to have a discussion thread, so when the question on the FAQ sheet is "What does it mean to have doubled pawns?", one certain thread can be linked rather than describing it.

So, with that in mind...I'm going to start a new post describing doubled pawns and what they're good for...

Chris
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Berkshire Beyond Buffett Event
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement