Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: epona4 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 974  
Subject: Stressing Date: 9/28/2006 1:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Well, thought I'd come here with my frustration and maybe get some advice. I also know that I am going to be whining a bit. And that if I'd post this anywhere but here I'd get "Suck it up and stop being a baby. Mom's work full time all the time and don't complain about it."

Until last year, I'd been a SAHM since '94. Last year our youngest went off to 1st grade and I had a full day to myself.

I'd debated a while on whether I should try to find a PT job or not. DH and I weighed the pros and cons. The extra income...between $400-$600 a month...would help.(but is not needed. But it has been helping pay our debts down a little faster) I would get out of the house and start dealing with actual adults. I'd also be doing something for "me".

So, I got a job at Sbux. Pay is better than min. wage. 401K, stock options. Health care if I ever needed it. And lots and lots of free coffee.

Well, a year later...I am having second thoughts. OK...I've been having them since last winter.

I hate not being able to stay home with the kids if they are sick. (Jim had to call off work last year. And when the older two were sick, they had to stay home by themselves.)

Another BIG issue is right now Jim is spending his weekdays in Boston and only home on the weekends. (and it looks like it will continue well into Dec) I finally told work that I couldn't work on Sat. anymore. (I figured why not? Half the people have down that they can't work on Sunday's because of church.) I am always scheduled for an 8 hour day on Sunday. By the time I get home, I'm done for the day.

With him being gone, I am the only one to shuttle kids around to soccer, choir, drama, gymnastics. So, between working (only part time, mind you) and running around, not much else is getting done. (BUT...to be completely honest, even before I started working, I was never a great housekeeper.) It just seems to be getting worse now.

Another issue is being able to visit our family. They are 2 hours away and we just don't go and see them anymore. And that is rather difficult. (we are really close to DH's family) And the holidays...it's retail. We don't get days off like a lot of corprate jobs do. Between Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, NYeve and NYday we have to sign up to work on 3 of those. (not sure how they are going to do it this year. They will be open on Christams, too.)

Part of me feels that I am in some ways neglecting my kids. And another part of me feels "I'm teaching them about responsibility." Yet I don't think I am being irresponsible if I decided to become a SAHM again. Or am I?

b
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Russia Collapsing Again?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement