Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Dodgeball Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121564  
Subject: Student Loan Credit and Higher Educational Expen Date: 11/17/1999 8:27 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I took advantage of the student loan interest credit on last year's tax return and am wondering what the cap is this year. For some reason, I believe it's $1500. Am I correct?

Also, as a teacher I am currently attending graduate school. Do I qualify for some type of refund/credit on tuition paid for grad school?

Thanks,
Dodgeball
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jessholl One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21318 of 121564
Subject: Re: Student Loan Credit and Higher Educational E Date: 11/18/1999 8:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I do not have the info on this years cap right now.

But I can answer the second question. You would qualify for the lifetime learning credit on the graduate school if you are enrolled for six or more credits per semester. The credit is for 20% of the first $5000 you pay for tuition, books and lab fees. General fees cannot be used.

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21415 of 121564
Subject: Re: Student Loan Credit and Higher Educational E Date: 11/19/1999 7:11 PM
<<I took advantage of the student loan interest credit on last year's tax return and am wondering what the cap is this year. For some reason, I believe it's $1500. Am I correct?>>

Yup...you sure are.

<<Also, as a teacher I am currently attending graduate school. Do I qualify for some type of refund/credit on tuition paid for grad school?>>

Potentially yes. You may qualify for the Lifetime Learning Credit. Some or all of your education expenses may also be eligible for an itemized deduction as a miscellaneous itemized deduction.

You can read more about education issues in the Taxes FAQ area. I have a number of posts on how to deal with education deductions and credits. And in my new book, we discuss these issues in great detail.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: Dodgeball Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21440 of 121564
Subject: Re: Student Loan Credit and Higher Educational E Date: 11/19/1999 10:43 PM
Roy:

Can you point me to your posts that address the Lifetime Learning Credit?

Dodgeball

Author: RecoveringFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21441 of 121564
Subject: Re: Student Loan Credit and Higher Educational E Date: 11/19/1999 10:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'm not Roy and I don't even play him on TV but here's the link to his article on the Lifetime Learning Credit:
http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/1998/taxes981023.htm

Hope this helps.

Jacki

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21462 of 121564
Subject: Re: Student Loan Credit and Higher Educational E Date: 11/20/1999 3:40 PM
<<Can you point me to your posts that address the Lifetime Learning Credit?>>

Sure...see the little red star next to the words "Taxes FAQ area"? Just click on that. If you can find that (near the top of the page), then click on
http://www.fool.com/school/taxes/taxes.htm

That'll take you right to the Taxes FAQ home page.

Hope this helps...
TMF Taxes
Roy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement