Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Hey Tax Smarties !!

Here at work I have friend that has/had a Student loan. They Defualted on it and there Tax returns have been taken to pay those off. The Loans are 6 years old this year. They were paid off with this years return.

Our question is, Can she file amended returns for the first 5 years ( 60 months ) of the loan, and claim the intrest? ( Even with the default status ).

Thanks, If you have questions post and I will answer.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.