UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 748856  
Subject: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Final Date: 2/13/2013 6:59 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/12635

Professor Peter Frölich has maintained a grading curve in which each class’s highest grade on the final counts as an A, with all other scores adjusted accordingly. So if a midterm is worth 40 points, and the highest actual score is 36 points, “that person gets 100 percent and everybody else gets a percentage relative to it,” said Frölich.

This approach, Frölich said, is the “most predictable and consistent way” of comparing students’ work to their peers’, and it worked well.

At least it did until the end of the fall term at Hopkins, that is.

As the semester ended in December, students in Frölich’s “Intermediate Programming”, “Computer Science Fundamentals,” and “Introduction to Programming for Scientists and Engineers” classes decided to test the limits of the policy, and collectively planned to boycott the final. Because they all did, a zero was the highest score in each of the three classes, which, by the rules of Frölich’s curve, meant every student received an A.

Kinda like what the students of the dumbed-down nanny state do all of the time. But the gubmint prof's never change the rules of the game else they would be out of a job. And there intentions are good.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671361 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 8:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I would have given everyone an 'incomplete' for failing to take the test.

Simple.

And if not that.......everyone would have gotten a 'c' since that was the median and average grade.

t.

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671392 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 10:58 AM
As the semester ended in December, students in Frölich’s “Intermediate Programming”, “Computer Science Fundamentals,” and “Introduction to Programming for Scientists and Engineers” classes decided to test the limits of the policy, and collectively planned to boycott the final. Because they all did, a zero was the highest score in each of the three classes, which, by the rules of Frölich’s curve, meant every student received an A.

Kinda like what the students of the dumbed-down nanny state do all of the time. But the gubmint prof's never change the rules of the game else they would be out of a job. And there intentions are good.

You want to look at this as a liberal implementation?

THink of the NY Times story?

Professor finds a way to bring each student to an A on their final!

This would be the new template for ALL NCLB grading!

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671395 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 11:05 AM
Recommendations: 1
I had two high school teachers that did variations of this curve grading. One biology teacher threw out the highest grade (most often me, yes I'm bragging) and then used the second highest grade to set the curve. The second teacher, might have been math or some subject that didn't change much, created a curve from test scores going 10 years back.

With the biology teacher, we were too competitive to trust each other enough to pull a stunt like everyone getting zeros. The math teacher, no way to beat that.

JLC

Author: JoshRandall Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671397 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 11:10 AM
I had two high school teachers that did variations of this curve grading. One biology teacher threw out the highest grade (most often me, yes I'm bragging) and then used the second highest grade to set the curve.

How did it feel to be a worthless outlier? In all fairness, you should have been willing to spread your A around to those who got F's and D's. The 0bama way.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671401 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 11:35 AM
I remember a couple courses in college......

Two or 3 profs gave darn near impossible tests.......you'd have to be a genius to get most of it.....

I remember getting scores like 40 or 42 out of 100....and getting a B.....there were usually a genius or two who would get 80s....... it was somewhat frustrating..... you'd study, work your butt off, do the homework (or all of it you could - one or two problems were always genius problems.......and then the test would come out of left field and you didn't even know where to start on one or two of the problems.

I did make it through....but I did get a D or two in my four years.....Advanced Calc and Complex variables II (yuk yuk yuk)...was one of them. I never did figure out all the limits for triple integrals on half the problems.....

When I finished my 4 years....I was all set to make some money and leave hairy math behind.....

t.

Author: Colovion Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671403 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 11:50 AM
I did make it through....but I did get a D or two in my four years.....Advanced Calc and Complex variables II (yuk yuk yuk)...was one of them. I never did figure out all the limits for triple integrals on half the problems.....

Advanced Calculus drove me batty, I ended up dropping the class, re-evaluating everything and changing my major (Chemistry and Physics helped too!) Switched to History, found my niche and my GPA shot up like a rocket. Went from academic probation to honors.

Author: vkg Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671412 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 1:06 PM

He set the rules, and the students followed them. This is always a problem with specifications. I have been on both sides with software.

If the contract isn't clear, isn't the legal precedence that when a the contract isn't clear the party not writing the contract is favored?

I am surprised that all students would agree.

The professor should change the policy before the next class.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671426 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 3:26 PM
"As the semester ended in December, students in Frölich’s “Intermediate Programming”, “Computer Science Fundamentals,” and “Introduction to Programming for Scientists and Engineers” classes decided to test the limits of the policy, and collectively planned to boycott the final. Because they all did, a zero was the highest score in each of the three classes, which, by the rules of Frölich’s curve, meant every student received an A."

If the highest score was a A...and the lowest score an "F"..... meaning zero was both...

I'd simply given them all Cs......everyone was 'in the middle'.

that is..if I didn't give them incompletes for failing to take the exam and turn in an answer sheet.

No answer sheet, no score.

t.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 671447 of 748856
Subject: Re: Students Outfox Prof - Everyone Get A on Fin Date: 2/13/2013 5:01 PM
I did make it through....but I did get a D or two in my four years.....Advanced Calc and Complex variables II (yuk yuk yuk)...was one of them. I never did figure out all the limits for triple integrals on half the problems..... - tele

----------------

I always had an easy time with the math stuff although college level did ramp up the complexity but I found that facinating. I only got two F's in college (Purdue). Stat 311 which is basically a math class. The teacher was a foreigner with a hard to understand accent and I think that was during my sophmore year when I was mostly "distracted". I re-took that class my Junior year, different instructor, got an A.

My other F was in Spanish 203 (third level). The School of Science BS requirements said only that you had to pass a fourth level language so I just went ahead and signed up for Spanish 204. My ace in the hole was that I made a deal with my roommate to take my spanish tests and I would take his math tests. These were both popular classes, with consolidated mid terms and finals that were held in huge lecture halls. So it was easy to put someone elses name and student # on your test papers (mark sense cards, anybody remember them). Probably couldn't get by with that these days. Anyway, he got me passing grade in Spanish 204 but that lone F in 203 remains on my record to this day. That is why I can't run for public office.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement