Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Wilsonsjulie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 7630  
Subject: Stupid White Men Date: 3/13/2002 5:20 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
From friends at the bear board:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16886702
Print the post Back To Top
Author: lserrin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2287 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 10:05 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
... is this the oxymoron thread?

Errin

Author: lserrin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2288 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 10:06 AM
... is this the oxymoron thread?

Errin

... or the redundant thread?

Errin

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2289 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 10:26 AM
I would be happy to discuss this book with anyone who has actually read it.

Author: lserrin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2290 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 10:29 AM
I would be happy to discuss this book with anyone who has actually read it.

Have you read it?

Errin
thinks possession of a book named "Stupid White Men" might cause interesting remarks at work ....

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2291 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 10:54 AM
The full title is Stupid White Men and other sorry excuses for the state of our nation.

Author: lserrin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2292 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 10:56 AM
The full title is Stupid White Men and other sorry excuses for the state of our nation.

.... I really need to have this book on my desk ... I really should read it too, I suppose ....

Errin

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2293 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 11:05 AM
The title's a bit of an attention grabber and some of the book is a bit of a rant, but big deal. Some folks' attention just needs grabbing.

Author: Wilsonsjulie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2294 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 11:18 AM
Recommendations: 4
I'm going to go look for it. The part that rang true for me was the part of the post:

Let's get one thing straight -- this is what it means to be
"unpatriotic:"

1. When you shred our constitution and eliminate our civil
liberties, passing laws that make it illegal to encourage
opposition to the government's actions, THAT is un-American.

2. When you send our kids to go fight and die on a foreign land
so that you can finally build a pipeline for your oil backers
across that country, THAT is un-American.

3. When you use the dead of September 11 to try to get huge tax
cuts passed that will only benefit your rich benefactors, THAT is
un-American.

4. When you allow criminals who are stealing the pensions of
workers and retirees to come in and hand-pick the head of the
agency which is supposed to be regulating them, and then you
place some of the criminals' top brass in your administration to
"serve" as the secretary of the army and White House counsel,
and then these criminals turn out to be your number one financial
backers -- and their law firm turns out to be your #3 backer
-- and, in spite of all this you still haven't resigned in
disgrace, THAT is un-American.

I am offended to be an unwilling participant of war. I also find it offensive that the *fiscally conservative* republicans are erasing the national surplus with seemingly little thought. There are so many old white male practices going on right now, that I feel discouraged about the future. ~j

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2295 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 11:29 AM
I'm going to go look for it. The part that rang true for me was the part of the post:

Let's get one thing straight -- this is what it means to be
"unpatriotic:"

Actually, that series of quotes was not from the book (the book was written and published in early-mid 2001), so I am not prepared to engage in discussion at this time, in keeping with my earlier post.

Author: dlkeiley Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2296 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 11:33 AM
The Anti-Federalist Papers?

dlk

Author: Wilsonsjulie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2297 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 11:43 AM
Recommendations: 1

Okay then. Here are some items that may not be in the book, either. Care to discuss any of this?:

http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=16834677

(from friends at the renewable energy board)

~j

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2298 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 11:55 AM
Could we just talk about tampons?

Wearily,

red

ps We could talk about the corporate pricing structure for tampons, or the health and environmental dangers of bleaching of tampons, or the phallic patriarchal shape of tampons, if the discussion has to have content.

Author: LittleCodeKitten Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2299 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 11:57 AM
Could we just talk about tampons?

Wearily,

red

ps We could talk about the corporate pricing structure for tampons, or the health and environmental dangers of bleaching of tampons, or the phallic patriarchal shape of tampons, if the discussion has to have content.

We could talk about why I never have one in my purse when I need one, or about why the tampon machine in the office bathroom has never been restocked.

LCK

Author: lserrin Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2301 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 12:10 PM
the phallic patriarchal shape of tampons

You would prefer square?

Errin
reflexively crossing her legs at the thought ...

Author: KenpoKate Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2303 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 1:34 PM
the phallic patriarchal shape of tampons

You would prefer square?

I believe the alternate shape is a cup.

- KK
Pad user

Author: MsVeeDub Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2304 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 2:18 PM
I also find it offensive that the *fiscally conservative* republicans are erasing the national surplus with seemingly little thought.

Surplus? What surplus? There's no extra money laying around that isn't supposed to be taking care of other fiscal responsibilities, like paying off our debt. The interest alone that the U.S. owes sucks up a full quarter of our tax money.

It's all cooked books.

Author: jaipur Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2309 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 6:14 PM
An update for WilsonsJulie:

Read the whole thing...unbelievable.

Mike's Book Tour Diary
Thru Monday, 3/11/2002

Police Raid, Shut Down My Booksigning in San Diego

Dear Friends,

It's a few minutes before midnight, on Friday night on 3/8/2002. I'm in San Diego, and I have just escaped being arrested by the San Diego police. This book tour keeps getting more surreal, but the last hour has been unlike anything I have yet seen.

I have come to San Diego to speak at an event organized for my book ("Stupid White Men"). The event is being held at a middle school in an auditorium that seats about 800 people. I have spent the week in California, pretty much at my own expense. Weeks ago, the publisher informed me that they would not be sending me to this state if they had to pay to get me there.

So I called up my friends at Politically Incorrect and asked if they could book me on the show and bring me out there. They were more than happy to help out. I can't believe the crap this show has had to endure because its host one night, early on in "America's NEW War" had the guts to state the truth as he saw it. Now advertisers have dropped like flies, affiliates in DC, Columbus, and other cities have canceled the program, and ABC seems eager to deep-six the whole hour it shares with Nightline.But, for now, they have come to my aid, and I am grateful.

The rest of the story:
http://www.michaelmoore.com/diaries/book_diary_2002_0311.html

I may have to get this book.

Jaipur

Author: redsavina Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2311 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/14/2002 10:17 PM
I may have to get this book.

I also recommend Downsize This: Random Threats from an Unarmed American, as well as his film Roger and Me. You may not agree with everything he says, but it's so thirst-quenching to have someone complain about this country in a funny and often crass way, and yet be so in love with America.

Anyway. I'm a fan, so I'm biased.

Author: darksister Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2312 of 7630
Subject: Re: Stupid White Men Date: 3/15/2002 12:00 AM
Roger and Me

This is really embarassing to me. But I feel that I am a professional and I must correct my mistakes.

You see, I thought I was an autumn and summer. But I had been mislead. In fact, I am an autumn and spring. I realize that is an unusual combination. And I realize that you may question my professional integrity over this error.

But I think it is important to set the record straight.

Rabbits for sale.

Fer pets or fer eatin.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement