Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 886  
Subject: Stuttering when editing and SSDs Date: 7/31/2012 2:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm getting some stuttering when previewing a multicam HD project. I've tried some of the easier things like lowering the quality of the preview and giving higher priority to Vegas Video in my task manager. They help a little bit, but it's obvious there is a data bottleneck. I've got the source files (mpeg2) stored on USB2 external hard drives. I'm told by a friend that the issue is likely with the rate of data transfer via the USB2 connection. He recommended that I put the files on in internal drive with a SATA connection, and suggested that I might look into a Solid State Drive.

I hadn't really heard about SSDs, but some quick research indicates that they are pretty damn fast. However, most sources I've looked at involve making the SSD the system drive. I'm not really interested in that, merely making it possible for my PC to access the video data files as fast as Vegas wants it. Is there any reason I can't continue to use my regular internal drive as my system drive, and then install an SSD on the side for video data storage and retrieval? Would I need to install Vegas on the SSD as well? I'm using Windows 7, 32-bit.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 842 of 886
Subject: Re: Stuttering when editing and SSDs Date: 7/31/2012 8:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I would stick with the internal hard drive. It's never failed for me.

Fuskie
Who wonders if you have tried to render to see if the stutter effect is in the finished product or just the preview...

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 843 of 886
Subject: Re: Stuttering when editing and SSDs Date: 8/2/2012 1:00 PM
I would stick with the internal hard drive. It's never failed for me.

Does it work for 4-camera HD projects with 60 GB of data being accessed?

Fuskie
Who wonders if you have tried to render to see if the stutter effect is in the finished product or just the preview...

Yes, I've rendered short sections and they are fine. If I preview the same segment several times, eventually the video catches up, but it takes awhile.

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 844 of 886
Subject: Re: Stuttering when editing and SSDs Date: 8/2/2012 4:18 PM
Does it work for 4-camera HD projects with 60 GB of data being accessed?

I guess it depends on how many files are being accessed simultaneously. I have worked with projects that have more than 60GB of data, but not accessing more than 3 of 4 concurrently.

I've rendered short sections and they are fine. If I preview the same segment several times, eventually the video catches up, but it takes awhile.

How are you for CPU memory? Does your video card have a good size cache? Are you running any other services or processes which might be draining CPU attention?

Fuskie
Who notes these are issues that can effect capturing as well...

Author: bbachim Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 845 of 886
Subject: Re: Stuttering when editing and SSDs Date: 10/28/2012 3:38 PM
Hello,

I suggest you start having all files you use for your video project on an internal disk. I tried to use external USB 2 disks too - and quickly realised that this will not work.

Kind regards.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement