UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Chipsboss Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744743  
Subject: Re: How are all the RE's doing? Date: 2/6/2002 2:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 29
Subject: How are the RE's doing?

Thanks to all who read my posts and particularly to those who put me on their favorite list or recommended those posts.

Those who are tired of hearing reasons for leaving TMF should now please mouse on "Next".

I took somewhat early retirement in 1993 at age 53. It's been wonderful and, like the others, I only wish I could have done it sooner. My entire career, over three decades, was devoted to assisting (in a small way) in winning the Cold War. With that done, I can't think of what to do for an encore. I had thought that contributing my ideas on this board constituted a sort of useful volunteer work. TMF doesn't agree.

I thought that my experience would be of some use here, since I retired fairly young and have effortlessly stayed retired for eight years while moving into a fine new unmortgaged house. I don't trouble with budgeting since my withdrawal rate is less than 4% and amply covers my fairly modest expenditures. I thought also that my understanding of the quantitative aspects of retirement planning would be useful. However, TMF powers don't see me as a particularly valuable player here. Too bad, but it's their company, not mine. TMF has set up a natural antagonism, greater or lesser, between those whose contributions are recognized by the TMF powerful as valuable and those who are not recognized that way. This reminds me entirely too much of competing and struggling for recognition in the bad old days when I held a job. I don't need that silliness, besides not being very good at it. I am, however, financially independent and rejoicing every day in that.

My objection is not the thirty bucks but the ideas of (1) charging anything when it isn't necessary and (2) the discrimination among posters. (I just spent $400 on a 15-month Gold's gym membership although I already have a gym membership in the recreation center of my retirement community. I spend money where I see value received.) My objection comes from a lack of faith in TMF management, the feeling that only the stock selection boards have their approval and, as a resolute indexer, a lack of interest in research and stock picking. Ever notice how quickly TMF moves from introductory lip service to indexing to promoting research, stock selection and trading? Not for me, thanks. If you should ever wonder how my investments are doing, or have done since 1981, just check the S&P 500. If you wonder how the recent market instability has affected me, let me say that I'm still committed to LTBH and doing NO trading. I also advise being kind, especially to old people, children and dogs. <wink>

So my present intention is to leave TMF soon. See you maybe at the other REHP board. Thanks again for your support, particulary to those who have expressed that support in any way.

the grizzled Chips, with FIRE in his belly
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement