Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CTkaren Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 122629  
Subject: Subject to back-up withholding question Date: 4/1/2008 4:51 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I'm subject to back-up withholding as there a a few years in the 90's where I sent in money but never got the forms done. Usually the amount that gets withheld equals my tax liability, more or less, so although I will get it taken care of, it helps me out come April 15th.
For 2007 the amount withheld was low, so I decided to sell some stock in January ...of 2008.

I thought "How clever I am, it will be in by the time the Jan. 15 estimated tax is due".

Now I think I may have goofed--- does the IRS earmark that 28% withholding to be applied to the year I will get a 1099 for it, i.e. 2008?

I called the IRS and after a long conversation with 4 people, I got only the answer that they don't seem to know as they won't have information on 1099's until August.

I think I wasn't so clever and just lent the gov some extra money for a year! Does any one know if I can apply it to 2007 taxes?

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Kiddie Card Board
Should kids have their own credit card?
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Taking Candy From Strangers
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.