UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884959  
Subject: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 8:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Subway, Wendy's and In-N-Out are rated America's top fast food chains... by reviewers of upscale restaurant guide Zagat

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2212465/Subway-Wen...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867751 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 9:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I must admit that although I never eat fast food at home, sometimes when I travel for work and there is no other option (due to time on site) but the mall food court, I will seek out a Subway. Their offerings are at least vaguely healthy. I like their veggie sub, and it's my fallback if there is no other food to be found nearby.

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867752 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 9:41 AM
Recommendations: 6
They've clearly never been to Five Guys

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867754 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 9:46 AM
I will seek out a Subway. Their offerings are at least vaguely healthy. I like their veggie sub,...

Same here only I consider Subway's veggie sub to be healthy 'cause of all the veggies. As for the bread, well, you eat that at home too.

But on the road I'm a junk food junkie!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLiVeRJTtqo

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867755 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 9:47 AM
They've clearly never been to Five Guys

Agreed! I went to Five Guys just once.
Even McDonald's makes better burgers.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867765 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 11:17 AM
Subway veggie sub

Thanks for the tip. It's sometimes convenient for us to stop for fast food while RVing. I've only tried Subway's meat and meatball subs, which are always disappointing. Frankly, after the juicy, garlicky, smack-yo-mama porchetta subs in Italy, I can't even face subs in America! (huh, the downside of travel)

The best American fast food IMO is BBQ, po' boys (fried fish/shellfish subs), and burritos at a great place--not a chain, then. I'm drooling remember the awesome burritos next to work in Cambridge MA...the carnitas, the bean & cheese, the chicken...the extras...perfect!

I don;t think fast-food burgers are worth it, although I liked them when they were new in our neck of the woods when I was a teenager. In adulthood, I always preferred the fish sandwiches. Even my husband can;t abide fast food burgers any more--I think I can date that to our switching to 80% lean grass-fed beef for grilled burgers at home (OMG! caution: not an LBYM tip ;-)

When we want fast food at home, we get cheap Chinese takeout. Our local joint has a nice special soup and awesome hunan shrimp (I try not to think about what kind of fat they might use for stir frying--most likely the cheapest available vegetable oil...cottonseed? soy?).

=alstro, misses McD's fries back in the 70s when they were fried in tallow--even Julia Child thought they were good!

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867766 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 11:31 AM
Recommendations: 0
Vegies subs are OK. I load them up with everything and ask for extra cheese. Some locations also have veggie patties you can ask for, although it isn't always listed.

Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867770 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 1:03 PM
Living 90 miles north of Mexico, I rarely eat Mexican food outside of the border states. Once while traveling we ran into an El Torito in Istanbul, needless to say, we didn't try it. Last month I had a burrito in Newnan, GA, but are burrito's really Mexican food? If you're in the south, boiled peanuts, BBQ, corn fritters, yum! If you're ever in Macon, try Jim Shaw's.

This reminds me of the time in the 80's when the Mexican Consulate in Caracas, Venezuela, put together a taste of Mexico dinner at a nearby hotel. I went and while the food was good, I didn't recognize any of the dishes. So, in CA, AZ, TX are we getting Mexican food or Americanized Mexican food?

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867772 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 1:41 PM
Recommendations: 6
So, in CA, AZ, TX are we getting Mexican food or Americanized Mexican food?

In Texas it's definitely Tex-Mex. Can't vouch for AZ or CA. New Mexican food is a world unto its delicious self. Mexican food in Mexico is good, but very different. They cook tamales in banana leaves, for example, which imparts a slightly sweet flavor. The food can be spicy, but is often simply well-seasoned and delicious. Meals in Peru and Chile lean heavily on meat, lots and lots of meat--beef, pork, lama, alpaca, guinea pig, etc. The food seems, to me, to be well-seasoned, but not spicy because they aren't always going for that style of cuisine.

What you'll hear on the East Coast is, "But it's made by Mexicans," so it has to be good. Nooooo. They want to stay in business, so they've learned to cater to bland tastebuds with poorly seasoned dishes. It doesn't have to be spicy-hot to be good, but if the cook doesn't use cumin and garlic, at the very least, it's a fail, IMO.

Chili

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867773 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 2:34 PM
So, in CA, AZ, TX are we getting Mexican food or Americanized Mexican food?

I don't know about the other states, but in Texas you are getting Tex-Mex cuisine, which, while quite tasty in its own right, has about as much in common with cuisine from the interior of Mexico as the patois, Tex-Mex, has in common with the Sanish spoken in Mexico City.

I knew a lady from Mexico City who shuddered everytime she heard the Spanish spoken by 2nd and 3rd generation Mexico immigrants. She probably didn't appreciate lard either.

Author: JonathanRoth Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867774 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 2:52 PM
Meals in Peru and Chile lean heavily on meat, lots and lots of meat--beef, pork, lama, alpaca, guinea pig, etc.

Speaking of meat, I still drool over Brazil's churrascarias.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867775 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 3:05 PM
but are burrito's really Mexican food?
Not really - totally California/Mex.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867776 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 3:08 PM
What you'll hear on the East Coast is, "But it's made by Mexicans," so it has to be good. Nooooo. They want to stay in business, so they've learned to cater to bland tastebuds with poorly seasoned dishes.
Same for Thai food in the US. Bland, sweet and nothing like what you get in Thailand. Since I started to cook Thai food a decade ago (from scratch, with mortar & pestle, the real thing), I never eat Thai food out any more. I can't find a restaurant that measures up to my food.

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867777 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 3:18 PM
Five Guys still figures prominently in their survey, and has for years. This year they are still the best burger. Last year, they were the top Fast Food - Large Chain, over Panera and Chipotle. This year they are still 4th on that list (In-n-Out jumped to #1, Chick-fil-a bumped down one to #5.)

v/r
Tom (Five Guys fan, though I'll sometimes run across the street to McD's for fries if I'm taking it home.)

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867781 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/4/2012 8:37 PM
The only "fast food", I like to eat is from Chipotle. I find the tacos to be fresh and flavorful. I probably go to Chipotle an average of once a week.

Donna (who has been known to go to Wendy's about once a month and eat a Spicy Chicken Filet.)

Donna

Author: AdvocatusDiaboli Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 867850 of 884959
Subject: Re: Subs, burgers & fries oh my! Date: 10/7/2012 12:30 PM
My favorites are Subway, Wendy's and Burger King.

There was also an Apollo Burger in Salt Lake City which I liked very much.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement