UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: jennotopping Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308364  
Subject: Suddenly starving artist in Big Trouble! Help! Date: 3/26/2000 8:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Talk about your Motley fools...

Not that long ago, I was a "successful" female screenwriter in Hollywood, averaging over $300K a year, no small feat. I've had some big movies made, the studios have made over $300 million off of me, I've had a beach house, lots of "friends", flew MGM Grand,(paid for by the studios) and the whole lot.

At one point I had a choice, buy a house and the whole Hollywood deal, or be the artist and take my money and direct a film my way....I made the film. Artistically successful, the film won a lot of awards, including a big European festival, but made no money. The writing offers were still there, but I was sure that I could make the directing thing work.

Here's where I started to get into trouble. I decided to stop taking all the high paying jobs, but I didn't change my lifestyle immediately, because I always thought I could take a job when I wanted/needed. I had always been able to during the 12 years before, why should anythning be different now. It always looked like the directing gig was right around the corner, so I never wanted to take another job, and make myself unavailable to direct. After a while, the money from the jobs I had taken, had run out and I started hitting the credit card checks. They were very available... and again, I thought I could always taking a writing job to pay it all back.

Meanwhile, the debt began to rise, I downsized the beach house to an apartment in town, the directing was just out of reach, and now I couldn't get a job. I had been out of the writing scene for over two years, and everyone wanted someone hot. I am still trying to get a job, but it hasn't happened yet.

Now, I have almost $120,000 in debt on the cards, and what little money I have been making this past year, has basically been going to pay off the debt. I pay over $4000 a month in interest payments, and am living very frugally now. I have a small car payment, low rent, and very few other expenses.

I have spoken to a Credit Consolidation Group, but after assessing my debt situation, they were only able to shave off around $240 a month in payments, and my credit would have been destroyed or rendered useless. So, again, believing that I could still get a gig to pay off the cards, I have avoided a more aggressive plan of attack.

Now, having just paid that pile of bills once again, I am thinking this is insane. I made $100k this year, enough to live, but having paid probably $50,000 of it in interest, I still haven't made a dent in the debt.

I've cut out the dinners, the traveling, the clothes... All I have left is my home office, my computer and my two dogs. I am at the point of seriously considering bankruptcy and was hoping somebody would have some advice on the pros and cons. My only debt is from the credit cards, I have a few pieces of art, and no other real property.

I feel like if I could make a fresh start everything would be okay. I wouldn't do it again, as my lifestlye has been adjusted to my new reality. But every month I am being haunted by the old one, and I don't know what to do.

Any words of advice from you financial wizards would certainly help this artist, which clearly has a high learning curve when it comes to managing her money.

Jenno T.

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (23) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement