UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: beckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25071  
Subject: Suggestion Date: 2/26/2001 5:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hi to all!
I get lost sometimes when reading posts that are replying to another without a clue as to who they are responding to or what.
Could we agree to put the number of the post we are replying to somewhere so 'I' for one can go back and find it faster?
Chris?
Just wondering,
Becky
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 239 of 25071
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 2/26/2001 5:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
I get lost sometimes when reading posts that are replying to another without a clue as to who they are responding to or what.
Could we agree to put the number of the post we are replying to somewhere so 'I' for one can go back and find it faster?

Becky, the MF boards are pretty well designed. There are two things you can do as the reader to sort this out.

1. Above the post, there are two labels, "threaded" and "unthreaded". If you click "threaded", the posts will be sorted by what original message they come after.

2. When you read this message, you will notice that the title is "Re: Suggestion", and the word "Suggestion" is a link. If you click on that link (and, in general, click the part after the "Re:"), you will jump back to the post that I'm replying to (yours, in this case). This can help you trace a thread backwards and see what people are responding to.

There is also something you can do to help when you write new posts. Rather than go back and look up the number of the post you are answering, copy and paste the important parts of the previous post into yours, like I have done here with your message. If you know HTML, you can make the old post italic or bold, or you can set off the text with brackets like this.

Kazim wrote:
<<Becky, the MF boards are pretty well designed. There are two things you can do as the reader to sort this out.

1. Above the post, there are two labels, "threaded" and "unthreaded". If you click "threaded", the posts will be sorted by what original message they come after.>>

Wow, Kazim, I didn't know that! Thanks!

Author: OldFatherHubbord Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 240 of 25071
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 2/26/2001 6:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
When reading an Re:Post, if you click on the link next to Subject:Re:Post, TMF transfer you to the post that the Re is replying to. Also, if you thread the board, the previouse post will be the one just before the one you are reading even if that post is several posts behind.

Guiding with the light,
The shepherd

Author: beckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 243 of 25071
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 2/26/2001 7:34 PM
Recommendations: 0
Kazim,
Chris told me about the threaded stuff once but when I clicked the un-threaded to see if it worked, it wouldn't change. My mistake I'm sure.
Info on clicking the subject is something I will try.
Also, I have read everything about italics and bold type but can't find out how to cut and paste! I think it's a plot to destroy the little sanity I have left.
I can 'hi-light'---but nothing moves or sticks! Agh!
Also, as long as I'm confessing ignorance--how would I get a web page on here? I can do it with e-mail, not this.
Thank you though for the info. I have a background in FORTRAN, COBOL(SPELLING?), and BASIC. Wish I didn't. Just interferes with learning this.
Becky

Author: beckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 245 of 25071
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 2/26/2001 7:56 PM
OFH,
Thank you, too!
Becky

Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 252 of 25071
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 2/27/2001 10:53 AM
Chris told me about the threaded stuff once but when I clicked the un-threaded to see if it worked, it wouldn't change. My mistake I'm sure.

Try being in the screen where you can view all the messages on the board, instead of being inside one individual message. You'll see the difference when you switch.

Also, I have read everything about italics and bold type but can't find out how to cut and paste! I think it's a plot to destroy the little sanity I have left.

I am going to assume that you're running Windows -- if not, tell me what system you're on.

Highlight the text you want to copy (drag a selection with your mouse). Then, right click your mouse on the selection and choose "copy" or "cut". Right click on the place where you want to paste, and choose "paste".

You can also you hot keys, like I do -- ctrl+c is copy, ctrl+x is cut, and ctrl+v is paste.

Also, as long as I'm confessing ignorance--how would I get a web page on here? I can do it with e-mail, not this.

How do you refer a web page in your post? Just copy the address from your browser, and paste it into your message. When your message displays, it will automatically be a link. Just make sure you start with either "http://" or "www.".

Thank you though for the info. I have a background in FORTRAN, COBOL(SPELLING?), and BASIC. Wish I didn't. Just interferes with learning this.

Ah, an old schooler! ;)

10      print "beckyz51 rules!"
20 goto 10

Author: beckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 310 of 25071
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 3/1/2001 10:37 PM
Kazim,
Thank you! But, only future posts will tell if I have mastered it!
I loved those 'goto' loops! And I was good at it, too.
Darn technology! Raise a few kids and the world is a whole different place.
Becky, the old one

Author: Kazim Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 321 of 25071
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 3/2/2001 11:05 AM
Recommendations: 1
I loved those 'goto' loops! And I was good at it, too.

I once taught a computer programming class for several months with a few different groups of students. When I was introducing the subject of loops, I always opened with this story.

There is something called a Sphex wasp. The Sphex has an interesting routine it goes through when feeding its young. It will drag some food (a caterpillar, for instance) back to its nest, go inside and check on its babies, then come out and pull the caterpillar in.

This appears to be very intelligent, motherly behavior. But researchers found something interesting. If, while the Sphex is checking on the babies, you move the caterpillar away from the nest, then when it comes out it will get confused. After it finds where the caterpillar went, it will drag it back to the nest, go inside and check on the babies again, and come back out again. While it's inside, you can drag the caterpillar away yet again, and the whole thing will be repeated. The Sphex never catches on -- it always repeats all the steps including the check, forever. So it appears that the wasp is not demonstrating intelligence or learned behavior; its brain is somehow hard-wired to perform those actions.

The moral of this story is: you should always make sure that your loops are guaranteed to reach a terminating condition, or your computer will get stuck, just like a Sphex wasp.

Author: beckyz51 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 359 of 25071
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 3/4/2001 9:09 PM
Kazim,
Cute story, but dirty trick on weary mother!
To be honest, I'd do the check every time, too. It's a 'Mom' thing. You never know what those little buggers have done since the last time you checked---Like getting that cute little head stuck in the bars of the crib or God knows what---I've got stories. Who knows what wasp babies could do! Maybe she's counting!
Becky(super-mom)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement