Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71248  
Subject: Suggestion Date: 12/26/2012 4:54 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Note to self (and anyone else listening in):

Upon the purchase of a new (to me) vehicle, practice changing a flat tire and jump starting the battery . . . BEFORE it's an emergency.

Apparently, they don't make 'em like they used to.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69693 of 71248
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 12/26/2012 5:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I practice calling AAA and have a battery backup in the trunk.

Author: eudaimon6 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69694 of 71248
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 12/26/2012 6:43 PM
Recommendations: 2
No, they don't.

Batteries aren't accessible. Spares are tiny or non-existent.

AAA is great if you're in a somewhat populated area. Around here, you could freeze to death waiting on a tow truck to fix a flat tire.

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69696 of 71248
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 12/27/2012 11:57 AM
Recommendations: 6
Upon the purchase of a new (to me) vehicle, practice changing a flat tire and jump starting the battery . . . BEFORE it's an emergency.

What prompted this was my son's car, a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. One minute before I'm leaving for work, he tells me his battery's dead.

Sighing heavily, I put down my laptop case and get the jumper cables. Since I jump a battery about twice a decade, I check my Hayne's Suburban manual on the proper way to hook up the cables:

On the working vehicle, hook up the red cable to the positive pole and the black cable to the engine block. On the dead vehicle, hook the black cable to the negative pole of the battery and the red cable to the positive pole.

We pop the hood of his car and . . .

Where's the battery?

"It's in the trunk, Dad," my son says, rolling his eyes at how stupid his old man can be.

"Oh, okay. So pop the trunk."

"I can't. The button doesn't work."

I push the trunk release button. Sure enough, it needs battery power to operate. If your battery is dead, it can't provide the power to gain access to the battery.

"Open it with your key."

"I can't, Dad. It's stuck in the ignition."

I try. Sure enough, the key won't come out of the ignition. I presume this is a security feature of some kind? Say, if a scoundrel steals your car battery, he can't also take your key out of the ignition. Mwah-hah-hah, evil doers!

I suppose we could use a spare key to manually open the trunk. But guess what? The car only came with a single key.

This is sort of becoming comical, except I'm late for work and I'm trying to figure out how to defeat all these high-tech security systems to gain access to my own freaking car while standing in twenty-degree weather.

There's gotta be a way to jump a dead battery! I open the hood again--thankfully THAT doesn't take battery power to pop the hood open! Next to a black cover panel is a red plug with a positive symbol. My son says, "That could be a second battery!"

I've never heard of a car with two batteries, but what do I know? We pry off the cover--nothing but fuses and circuitry. Besides, there's no negative pole anywhere.

We give up. I go to work, he calls AAA, and waits.

When I get to work, I hit Google. And Google tells me that the way to jump start a 2010 Chevy Cobalt is to hook up your red cable to the red positive plug and the black cable to the dead car's engine block. Exactly the opposite of what my Hayne's manual tells me to do. I text my son what I found out, but by that time the AAA wrecker has arrived. He jumps the car in five minutes and silently thanks the Maker for idiot drivers and the job security they provide.

Yep, they don't make 'em like they used to.

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69697 of 71248
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 12/27/2012 1:23 PM
Recommendations: 1
And Google tells me that the way to jump start a 2010 Chevy Cobalt is to hook up your red cable to the red positive plug and the black cable to the dead car's engine block.

The older connection instructions are to mitigate or prevent a spark around the battery, because discharged batteries often have a lot of explosive gas venting. If you are jumping to a remote connection, a spark there shouldn't be an issue. Good story, I hadn't heard of this issue before.

Richard

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69698 of 71248
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 12/27/2012 9:39 PM
"I've never heard of a car with two batteries, "

My 1984 diesel powered Eldorado came with two monster batteries.

~aj

Author: ptheland Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69706 of 71248
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 12/28/2012 2:47 PM
Recommendations: 8
And Google tells me that the way to jump start a 2010 Chevy Cobalt is to hook up your red cable to the red positive plug and the black cable to the dead car's engine block. Exactly the opposite of what my Hayne's manual tells me to do.

Either way works fine. The electricity doesn't care how it's connected, as long as you connect positive to positive and negative to negative.

The key to remember is that batteries can produce an explosive gas. And that a spark can ignite that gas. You are only going to get a spark at the last connection you make. Until then, there isn't a complete path for the electricity.

So you want to make the last connection somewhere away from the battery. If you can do that at a positive terminal connection somewhere away from the battery, that's fine. But a universal solution is to make the last connection a negative connection to somewhere away from the battery, such as the engine block. Pretty much any piece of exposed metal on the car will work for that. And it doesn't matter on which car you make that connection - the helper or the dead one - just make the last connection on the engine block rather than at the battery so the spark isn't close to the battery and it's gasses.

--Peter

Author: Watty56 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69713 of 71248
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 1/1/2013 8:11 PM
...What prompted this was my son's car, a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt....

I always keep the owner manual in the glove compartment.

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69714 of 71248
Subject: Re: Suggestion Date: 1/2/2013 10:53 AM
I always keep the owner manual in the glove compartment.

This didn't come with a owner's manual. I was provided a web link to download (and presumably print out) a PDF.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement