Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
I believe something like this has been proposed before, but generally in the context of making CAPS more like a play-money portfolio. Instead, I'd suggest that when making a pick, players simply allocate a percentage (or weighting multiple) to that pick. This would have at least two major consequences:

1) It would provide a measure of "confidence" for each pick made by each player, which would be an invaluable piece of information to the CAPS community. Wouldn't you be more interested in a stock that the best players weight 10% than in one that they weight 1%? That kind of information should be extremely useful in calculating meaningful stock ratings.

2) If this allocation was also used to influence player scores, it would encourage players to provide more information to the CAPS system about a wider array of stocks. Currently, if I think Stock A will outperform, but I'm not particularly certain of this, there isn't much incentive for me to enter it into the system. Under a weighted system, I would enter it and give it a low confidence allocation. Presumably, information in the system is better than information outside of the system.

You could also use such a system to allow re-recommendations (add a percentage to an existing pick at a new price) and partial de-recommendations (decrease the percentage at the existing price).

Just some thoughts...
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement