Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: MurrayS Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5084  
Subject: Re: 2006 Date: 1/6/2006 6:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
Suggestions? Improvements?

We don't have specific percentages that we break down our budget. Instead, we funnel all of our money into our checking account.

When the checking account is above $2k (subtracting expenses using the forecast chart in Quicken), we transfer the extra into a tax free money market account.

When the MM account is above a certain amount, we transfer any extra into two federal tax free municipal bond funds (vwahx & vmltx earn between 3-5%).

When the muni account is above a certain amount, we transfer the extra into an index fund (vtsmx).

So, instead of having several buckets and putting a few glasses of water in each bucket, we put everything in the first bucket and let it overflow into the next bucket then the next bucket and so on down the line. Currently, any extra cash goes into the index fund since all of our buckets are full :)

If we need money for a car or other big purchase, we'll increase the amount in the MM account prior to the purchase or pull from the muni account.

In your situation, the tax free funds probably wouldn't be the best option.

A couple reasons I like this method over your proposed method:

-You have to adjust the percentages as you reach certain goals (efund level at goal, for example).

-You should probably build up your efund prior to putting money into long term investments.

Perhaps a downside to my approach is the temptation to spend any extra amount in your checking account. To this, I would say the key to FIRE is replace that temptation with the satisfaction of putting money away. A spreadsheet to track your progress towards FIRE can help with this.

Bottom line, I won't say my or your approach is better, just that I prefer my approach. Both approaches should help reach the same goal.

-murray
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement