No. of Recommendations: 0
Sukotto asks:

What about a 401k plan?

Can I get an IRA or 401k retoactively from 1995 when I worked here (and filed a tax return)? It's prpbably too late (since I'd have to get my IRS stuff mailed to me from Canada) but I'm still interested in knowing... Heck, if I get some kind of credit, I can use it for tax-year 2001.

That's an employer's plan used in the US only. You may only take a deduction in the year you participate, and retroactive participation is not allowed. If your current employer has such a plan and you are eligible for it, then you may use if for 2001.

No prob with the address issue. But are there any legal or tax repercussions to having a IRA or 401k plan when you're not working (or even living) in the States?

The only tax issue is if you are forced to take it, and then 30% must be withheld pending your filing of your income tax return declaring that income for the year. The tax issues are best addressed on the Tax Strategies board where the tax gurus hang out.


Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.