UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ThyPeace Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3955  
Subject: Summer vacation Date: 7/15/2012 4:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I had the opportunity to spend a week in Wisconsin over the 4th of July. We had a really nice time. Two days in Egg Harbor (in Door County). It was crowded, of course, but still very relaxing. The water was beautiful, and the place we were staying very far from the beaten path. We enjoyed minigolf and go karts at a local play park, ate a good meal at Galileos', and watched the fireworks from a great vantage point.

From there we made a long drive (about 4 hours) over to Wisconsin Dells. We stayed at Kalahari, which we know from its Ohio location. All in all, we preferred the Wisconsin version. Although some things are smaller (the wave pool, in particular), the slides were better, the mix of indoor and outdoor stuff more fun, and the whole place was much quieter. The food is always only passable there, and we probably had our best meal at Cracker Barrel. My favorite slides were the toboggan rides. Fast, controllable, and best of all, not in the dark. (I really don't like dark slides. Really a lot don't like them.) DD loved the wave pool and the biggest of the kid-size slides. She went on a couple of the family-oriented large slides as well, which is a huge step up for her.

It was horribly hot while we were there, but even so we braved the heat to see a Tommy Bartlett water ski show. This is the absolute ultimate in old-fashioned kitschy entertainment. Halfway silly, halfway nifty, halfway too slow for today's pace, but all fun. I recommend going when it's 85 degrees instead of 105, though.

We also enjoyed the laser tag, the ropes course, and the go karts in the indoor theme park at Kalahari. We added them to our stay for $20 each and easily got our money's worth. I wish the bowling alley had been included as well. It's a nice alley and the boys played several games. (I played one and then retired to drink margaritas.)

After three exhausting days at Kalahari, we retreated to my parents' house in Manitowoc, another 3 hour drive. The kids slept for 12 solid hours the first night, and DH and I slept for 10. We ate at Kurtz's in Two Rivers (excellent sandwiches and beer) and went to the Maritime Museum. I hadn't been through the submarine (USS Cobia) in a long time. They know more about the sub than they did when I was a kid, and there are some really interesting stories that go with it. The museum itself is also a lot of fun. If you have kids, make sure to go down to the water room on the lower level. Even the teenager played for 20 minutes. Manitowoc's bike trail was also a play area for us. We walked, ran, and biked on it at different times. The addition of the trail really has changed how people use the lakeshore, and I was really amazed at how friendly people on the trail were.

We flew in and out of Milwaukee, which is always easy and relaxing. I do hope they finish all the construction on the interstates someday soon, though. It's a bit of a maze.

ThyPeace, likes taking vacations that involve exercise.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Mylan Transitioning from Generics
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement