Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: yddeyma Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71165  
Subject: Sun Tint Date: 1/26/2013 4:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Sorry, to bust in, I do not normally post here. But I've got a question you AutoFools can probably help me with.

We just got a new car and is has no tint on the windows. We've got two small kids (1 and 3) and are contemplating having the windows tinted.

I don't want it to get bubbles in it or look blue, which I seem to see a lot of with after market tint.

Is there a brand or process for tint that I should look for? We've tried those suction cup pull down shades and they don't stay on at all. The cling type shades are okay, but not good coverage and aren't very dark to begin with. We got both from Target, so maybe quality is an issue with these.

We are thinking professional tint is the way to go, but aren't sure where to start. And if there's another solution please chime in.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: legalwordwarrior Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69786 of 71165
Subject: Re: Sun Tint Date: 1/26/2013 5:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
We are thinking professional tint is the way to go, but aren't sure where to start. And if there's another solution please chime in.

We had professional tinting done to my car in 1992 and it still looked great when I got rid of the car in 2003. We used a local place that had a reputation for good work.

You may want to ask around your friends nearer to home?

LWW

Author: riprock45 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69794 of 71165
Subject: Re: Sun Tint Date: 1/27/2013 12:21 PM
I've used 3M tint and it's very good.

Here's a website:

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solu...

Click on "Where to buy" and put in your zip code to find the nearest dealer.

Rip

Author: jeffbrig Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69800 of 71165
Subject: Re: Sun Tint Date: 1/29/2013 11:17 PM
Recommendations: 1
I don't want it to get bubbles in it or look blue, which I seem to see a lot of with after market tint.

You need two things - a quality product, and a competent installer.

Cheap films fade/discolor over time. Higher quality films also block more of the sun's heat, keeping your interior cooler. Wherever you end up, I suggest opting for the highest quality film they offer.

In my area, I've spent $150-$200 to have a premium quality film installed. Large vehicles with more windows might be more. The local shop I use offers computer cut film. Otherwise you'll have a kid with a roll of film and a razor blade cutting inside your car. You can find someone to tint a car for a fraction of that price, but this is one place where I'll gladly pay more to have the job done right.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement