Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: joetangerine Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1263  
Subject: Re: Scriptural Nativities Date: 12/7/2001 2:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
sunonun writes:

Keep in [mind] the temple and even the Ark of the Covenant was decorated with cherub. So, if that decorative image was not considered an idol, then it is safe to assume a decorative image used for another purpose can also not be an idol.

Keep in mind also that the Ark had on it the Mercy Seat, which was where God basically lived. Worshipping God is never wrong. Priests didn't minister to the cherubim or the Ark.

Also, all of the temple and its decorations were according to God's Word and done out of obedience to God. Ornaments, trees, Santa, etc were not commanded by God, so they are not without the potential to become idols but are also not automatically deemed so.

You prove my point exactly - here are heavenly images - cherub used as decorations but are not idols. So, it is possible to have a heavenly image and it not be an idol. If any heavenly image is an idol - as the Pastor that "crobinso" was listening to was very much trying to assert, then why would God himself have heavenly images formed by man incorporated into his most holiest of structures? The very wings of the cherub form the mercy seat. Because it is not the image - the decoration - it is what you do with it. That is why I, jokingly asked "crobinso" what he did with the decorations. The assertion of the Pastor he was listening to is absurd that all heavenly images are idols.

I do not pray to angels, but I enjoy seeing there images cascading down my christmas tree which has a star on top of it. All of these images remind me of what I read in scripture about miracles of the appearing of the star and the presence of angels at Christ's birth.

Yet, as a side note guess what? Christ's birth was most likely never in December, seeing that no census were taken by the Romans in what is December during this time period of Caesar Augustus or Quirinius, governor of Syria. Luke 2:1-2

Besides, anything can be turned into an idol. You ever seen the crazy looking stuff folks in India worship? You ever seen a statue of the goddess Diana as talked about in Ephesians? She was the hottest thing in Asia Minor. The main industry of Ephesus was based on making idols of her and worshipping her. Yet that was one scary, ugly chick (devil)!
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (29) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement