Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: NotMaggie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65460  
Subject: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/7/2002 9:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
This was originally posted on HURL, but is apparently real. I find the article more sad than funny as the issues it addresses are sometimes poignantly misfortunate or even tragic.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/terrifica021105.html

Meg
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1263 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 7:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
"I do this because women are weak. They are easily manipulated, and they need to be protected from themselves"

Lord help the man who would ever dare make a statement like this.

Actually, this is quite a sad story. This is what happens to young impressionable women whose lives are shaped by Hollywood (ie Buffy)
and the womens movement.

Author: CPAScott Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1264 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 9:23 AM
To which issues are you referring Meg? The unfortunate fact that some men out there would intentionally "prey" on intoxicated women or the underlying issues that "Terrifica" seems to have.

It's really too bad that life has bred a culture where women are unsafe going out on a Friday night, but is this crusader for women really concerned about the reality of the life of single women in the big city, or is she just jaded?

Her quotes make me skeptical:

"I do this because women are weak. They are easily manipulated, and they need to be protected from themselves and most certainly from men and their ill intentions toward them."

All women are weak? All men have ill intentions towards women?

"People are happiest when they're alone and living their solitary lives."

Really? Everybody is better off by themselves?

"The reason why Batman was dark was because he kept seeing his demon [the murder of his parents and his need to avenge them] every time he did what he did," Sarah says. "I guess that is essentially the same thing with me. I experience the same hurt and pain over and over again [as Terrifica]."

The evidence leaning toward "jaded" is getting stronger ...

"Imagine yourself the perpetrator, one of the evil men in the world, and then you see a woman in a leotard and she's beautiful."

Ah, yes, the beautiful Terrifica. Hey I didn't comment about the name before, but it's starting to seem like someone has a pretty high opinion of themselves.

"Bartenders tend to be men, and they tend to be attracted to me," she says. "Most men are. That's part of my power."

Most men are, huh? Jaded with an ego.

"And you should not feel that someone who promises love actually loves you, ever. People throw around the term 'love' to manipulate, to get sexual satisfaction. And you should only exist to satisfy yourself, not sexually but holistically. Do not be meek enough to believe the myths society has imposed on us to basically control you.

"And don't get drunk in bars."

I don't think I need to add any more commentary ... this speaks for itself.

And while I'm being cynical, what's with this "Fantastico", "[a] man who likes to dress in velvet"?? Yikes.

Well, there are all sorts of people in this world, that's for sure.

I guess not everyone can have all their circuits functioning.

CPAScott

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1267 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 10:01 AM
Recommendations: 2
"I do this because women are weak. They are easily manipulated, and they need to be protected from themselves"

Lord help the man who would ever dare make a statement like this.

I agree, but why limit it? Anyone that makes a statement this moronic - male or female - should be pilloried for it.

Actually, this is quite a sad story. This is what happens to young impressionable women whose lives are shaped by Hollywood (ie Buffy)
and the womens movement.

OK, you lost me. Please explain how this works.

mick

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1269 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 11:17 AM
Hollywood (ie Buffy): The empowered woman; always good; always stronger than and defeating evil (ie men).

Womens movement: Teaching women they are better off without men; that all men are evil; that women are superior to men; that all men are the same, and all they want is sex.

I've read and heard the rhetoric; preached on all college campuses, and enforced by those in Hollywood. Here's the result.

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1270 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 11:57 AM
Recommendations: 7
Hollywood (ie Buffy): The empowered woman; always good; always stronger than and defeating evil (ie men).

Well, Hollywood is all about enforcing stereotypes both male and female, but that's simply silly entertainment drek, not reality.
I never understood how people can confuse the two.

Nonetheless, I don't believe that TV/movie stories are solely anti-male, in fact, I think the opposite may be true.
I'm no movie buff so maybe I should let someone else speak to this, however, it seems to me that the Hollywood portrayal of the average or ideal woman is wildy inaccurate.
I don't know many women that are pencil thin, have 38D busts with lips like Mick Jagger and a botox frozen expression of perpetual surprise...but that's just me and I don't get out much.

Womens movement: Teaching women they are better off without men; that all men are evil; that women are superior to men; that all men are the same, and all they want is sex.

I've read and heard the rhetoric; preached on all college campuses, and enforced by those in Hollywood. Here's the result.

I disagree. This result you refer to is a misguided and likely very troubled individual. I don't think she is representative of the entire women's movement or even a portion of it. Did the article state anywhere that women's movement is making her the poster girl of their cause? I didn't read the whole article so I honestly don't know...I read enough to identify a troubled person and stopped reading further. If the womens movement is adopting Terrifca as a spokesperson for their cause, well...then you might be on to something.

Perhaps you are confusing a very small radical minority of the women's movement with the entire thing. It is unrealistic and misinformed actually to think that a small portion of any group represents the whole. Like any movement the common and greater goal is more important than the individual opinions of the members. I think you will find that this is true in politics, civic and private associations as well as action groups.

Perhaps, just perhaps you are using an overly very broad brush on this issue.

mick

Author: NotMaggie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1272 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 2:56 PM
Wow, stay away from the thread for a few hours, and possibly the first really controversial thread starts a la moi! :-) Yes, people, it was an amazing article; I do NOT know if this is at all true, but it is so incredibly like one of those, "Stupid things people really do, even in big cities like New York City, but across the river from Sarah Jessica Parker." This creature who calls herself Sarah the Terrifica superheroine is something else. Her alleged, pathetic nemesis, Fantastico, is apparently well matched. The whole scenario and reasoning is so awful and bad it can be seen as a deliberate humorpiece, hence it's inclusion on the HURL board. I couldn't tell if it was real or not.

... Perhaps, just perhaps you are using an overly very broad brush on this issue.

Mick, you are showing yourself to have considerable intelligence, reasonability, objectivity, and class in your clear responses. Sadly, not all of us have that, but I hope these attributes are contagious to those who most need it.

Meg

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1275 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 4:23 PM
Mick, you are showing yourself to have considerable intelligence, reasonability, objectivity, and class in your clear responses. Sadly, not all of us have that, but I hope these attributes are contagious to those who most need it.

Meg

You're hitting on me right?

mick

Author: NotMaggie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1276 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 4:28 PM
You're hitting on me right?

mick

Wink, wink ... famous hair flip and the fingers splaying across the face, ending in coy, sideways glance.

Meg

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1277 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 4:42 PM
Sorry to point out the obvious...it's Friday and two more um, recent posters are from NYC. Need I say more!!!!!

Odee
-of course, the obvious would never occur if it was me

Author: mickaelangelo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1278 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 4:51 PM
Sorry to point out the obvious...it's Friday and two more um, recent posters are from NYC. Need I say more!!!!!

Odee
-of course, the obvious would never occur if it was me

Recent?

mick

Author: Odee Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1279 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 4:57 PM
Recent?

I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but doesn't your profile indicate NYC <knowing it may not be>. I'm not from NYC ;) <was born in the Bronx - doesn't count now> LOL!

I do hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Odee

Author: NotMaggie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1280 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/8/2002 5:03 PM
I may be wrong, wouldn't be the first time, but doesn't your profile indicate NYC <knowing it may not be>. I'm not from NYC ;) <was born in the Bronx - doesn't count now> LOL!

I do hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Odee

<big, slow eye wink and smile >

Ciao, baby! Or, as they say in the boroughs, "Uff, uff, uff!!!"

Meg
NYer, through and through!

Author: peteyperson Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1281 of 65460
Subject: Re: Superheroine for Single Girls in NYC Date: 11/9/2002 2:40 PM
Next they'll be buying her life story and turning it into a movie...

Pete

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement