Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 439617  
Subject: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/8/2012 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Talk about "HALO"! I may just have to tune in if I can. Reminds me of the Starship Troopers (the book, not the movie).

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2012/10/121008-felix...

I wonder what the shock-front will do to his suit and him. If he's successful at reaching mach 1. I seem to recall that it wreaked havoc with early airframes. But aeronautical engineering isn't my area.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410551 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/8/2012 4:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
If he's successful at reaching mach 1. I seem to recall that it wreaked havoc with early airframes. But aeronautical engineering isn't my area.

just watched something about that on the TV ...

iirc, 'problem' was that AT Mach 1, controls didn't work: the shockwave messed with the flow over control surfaces.

if so, not a problem for this guy

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410569 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/8/2012 7:28 PM
iirc, 'problem' was that AT Mach 1, controls didn't work: the shockwave messed with the flow over control surfaces.

if so, not a problem for this guy

Yes, I remember that. But I believe it also had a tendency to rip off wings due to the erratic airflow over them. What would that do to this guy's neck, for example? Maybe nothing. I really don't know. You would hope someone involved has already done the calculations for him.

1pg

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410570 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/8/2012 7:46 PM
One of the Stratos/Red Bull team members is an acquaintance of mine through flying (he's looking after the GPS data recorders and record keeping to establish the jump records). He recommends the Wired article:

http://www.wired.com/playbook/2012/06/red-bull-stratos-2/?vi...

Here's a much less professional presentation he made to a bunch of us soaring pilots here in MN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CAMTl6c-Ks&feature=youtu...

rj

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410575 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/8/2012 8:33 PM
Maybe nothing. I really don't know. You would hope someone involved has already done the calculations for him.

*i* would hope that someone has run a crash-dummy through a supersonic wind tunnel

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410587 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/9/2012 11:17 AM
FWIW: they started preps last night for the jump this morning, but had to put it on hold due to winds aloft.

They need winds on the ground to be 4MPH or less to be able to launch the balloon safely, and they need winds aloft to be such that they won't carry the capsule into Mexico or beyond their ability to retrieve it.

Naturally, New Mexico is known for its windiness. (Popular wisdom has it that's because Arizona bl*ws and Texas s*cks.)

rj

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410595 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/9/2012 1:10 PM
Driving me nuts waiting -

http://www.youtube.com/redbull?feature=inp-fb-bul

but looks like it might be on track finally. Supposed to happen @ 11:30 rocky mountain time

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410597 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/9/2012 1:26 PM
Finally looking like stuff is happening on that live feed. Felix is in the capsule and they've moveed away the support fro the capsule - it's just dangling there from the end of the crane.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410598 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/9/2012 1:28 PM
So now we've got a bunch of guys standing around staring up at the capsule. Wonder how many hours of boredom went into the incipient 5 minutes of terror? Hope this all goes well.

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410600 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/9/2012 1:32 PM
Less than 4 Minutes

Author: sissylue Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410601 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/9/2012 1:43 PM
BOO!!!!

CANCELLED ... well alright it was a little on the windy side.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410604 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/9/2012 1:52 PM
I think our firewall is blocking it. I'm just getting a "standby" message.

Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 410605 of 439617
Subject: Re: supersonic sky dive Date: 10/9/2012 2:06 PM
sissylue: So now we've got a bunch of guys standing around staring up at the capsule. Wonder how many hours of boredom went into the incipient 5 minutes of terror? Hope this all goes well.

The setup for a 7AM/sunrise launch starts at 11PM the night before.

Launches are generally scheduled for dawn as winds tend to be the least active then. Winds on the ground need to be about 4MPH or less for a launch, and winds below 600' also relatively quiet (the balloon stands about 550' tall). If you look at photos of the Roswell launch site, you can see several tethered balloons around to indicate the winds aloft up to about 700'.

I'm sorry to see that they're standing down, and will try again on Thursday if the forecasts are good.

rj

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement