No. of Recommendations: 9

Suppose one day the US went nuts and elected a president who knew nothing about economics and for no logical reason put a 25% tariff on steel or something like that.

OTOH, suppose one day the US elected a president who was experienced and accomplished at making high-stakes negotiations and had a decades-long history of success at said negotiations.

Suppose he remembered the story about how the mule trainer first got the mule's attention by taking a 2 x 4 and whacking the mule upside the head .... and figured that perhaps 25% and 50% tariffs could take the place of the 2x4 with intransigent counterparties in high-stakes negotiations.

"Heads I break this 2x4 on your head, tails and I stop buying stuff from you and take down your economy. Or you can retaliate and stop buying soybeans from us and watch your people starve."

================
I hate it when people drag politics into unrelated discussions and message boards. But, really, when it comes to $600 BILLION dollar trade deals.... Well, maybe somebody who has been successfully negotiating large deals all his life is the guy you'd want to be representing you.
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
Live Video Event Monday!
The GP team is hosting a live video event on Monday at 4 p.m. ET. Don't worry if you can't make it — we'll have a replay and a transcript. Click for more!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement