UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (62) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308467  
Subject: Re: OT: microtrends at your house? Date: 3/7/2008 11:06 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Sure, I'll play:

1. I am currently not working, about half by my choice. I was downsized out of my job in October, and I worked a few temp positions, but everything I was being offered was 20 miles away, which in our area is a one hour drive. With everything attributed to me working at these jobs, my hourly wage wound up being barely $4/hour. So, I came home temporarily to permanently. We're happy with the arrangement so far (Gary more than me, actually!)

2. We've cut back on driving and traveling (mostly due to #1 above), but also just because we happen to not be traveling right now. We're between big events (Christmas and Family Reunion). We were considering a trip to FL for DH's cousin's wedding at Walt Disney World (and started saving the cash for it), but decided against it, because we'd rather take two trips to Phoenix for the same money.

3. We've cut back on eating out for two reasons: We are trying to slim down and it's easier to control how our food is prepared at home, AND we just don't feel like we get our dollar's worth at restaurants. We have breakfast together on Saturday mornings at a little cafe walking distance from our apartment, and we eat lunch out on Sundays twice a month. This is down from three times a week, every week.

4. I was just commenting to a friend how much I hate going shopping since I've gotten married. I think it is a result of my FMS flaring more often here, plus not being around people who shop and drag me along, plus I no longer need to engage in "retail therapy" for loneliness.

5. We just got married a little over a year ago - we don't really NEED ANYTHING at this point. Between the two of us, and all the gifts we received last year, we can't think of a single "medium ticket item" that we need. (My last "big" purchase was a pair of lamps for the bedroom, bought with Christmas money from MIL)

6. We spend less here, too, but only because we've switched from Blockbuster to Redbox. When we go to dinner and a movie (at the local second run theater walking distance from the apartment) we skip the popcorn and drinks. Sometimes we skip the dinner out and just get ice cream on the way home. For Valentine's Day, I cooked dinner at home, and we walked to the theater to enjoy a live play (the building was once one large live theatre which was converted to a 4-plex, and they still have part of the stage in the back).

The thing that is irritating me is that 2 or 3 years ago, people were out of work, losing homes, etc - but the media has decided that we are NOW in a recession because it "feels like we are in a recession."

I saw on the Early Show today something that cracked me up: "How to Recession-Proof Your Grocery Shopping". http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/07/earlyshow/living/money/main3916381.shtml

Most of the foods she mentions have been in our diets for months.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (62) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement