Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (147) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Frydaze1 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 196899  
Subject: Re: Cardinal Carlo Martini Date: 10/2/2012 2:30 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21
Sure, you'd condemn any other group that promoted rape, but in your heart you'd know that they are just following what they think is best for them, and that makes it OK for them.

Do I have it right?

Not exactly. You seem to have skipped over this part:
Of course I believe that MY moral code is the best one. So I would also try to make other societies conform to it. But I don't kid myself that this makes it objective morality.

I do believe my moral code is the right one. I'd do more than condemn another society; I would do my best to change their morals to match my own. Because I believe mine are right, and anyone breaking my moral code is immoral.

That doesn't make it objective. It just means that my subjective opinion is very important to me.

Interesting. So it seems for you, morality boils down to subjective preference. Like one who prefers chocolate to vanilla, you prefer no rape to rape. "Morality" has no more meaning or weight than that.

I will say that you are at least consistent with an atheist view. I was beginning to think that you felt there was *really* something *wrong* with raping little girls. But as you explain, you don't delude yourself into thinking there is something objective about what you and your social group prefer.

Hike up your pants a little. Your attitude is showing.

There is nothing in the bible against raping little girls. Yet you believe it is wrong. If you believe that god is the source of all morality, and the bible is the only written guide to the mind of god, then you have ZERO basis for thinking that raping little girls is wrong. And yet you do. And you believe it more strongly than a chocolate versus vanilla preference. But you can't point to any reason for your belief. And other Christians will (and do) disagree with you. And, if fact, support marriage to young girls against their will and include sex as part of their marriage rights. Neither of you have a single biblical basis for your belief about raping little girls.

So first of all, cut the crap with your implication that because I'm an atheist I'm okay with raping little girls. Evidently being a christian doesn't change that belief either. (Or being a muslim. Or a buddhist.) In fact, as an atheist I am LESS likely to approve of it, since I don't take the bible as my sole guide to morality.

Knowing something is subjective doesn't stop me from feeling very strongly about it. Or from wanting my moral code to be universally *applied*.

Frydaze1
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (147) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement