UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: bookgrrl Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Winner! Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2281  
Subject: Surprise Date: 5/28/2003 11:36 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Parkway wrote:
Or are you just completeting this cycle because you had already started it at the time the RE recommended the IVF with preimplantation genetic testing?

Well, that was the plan, since the RE told me about PGD after we had already completed the CLomid cycle and the IUI. But it turns out that I'm pregnant. I tested positive on a HPT on Monday, then yesterday had my beta hCG checked - it was 1379 (at Day 19 post-ovulation, and Day 18 post-IUI).

We are completely dumbfounded. There's no way the IUI got me pregnant, since they made a mistake and inseminated me one day *after* I ovulated. (They had estimated, via the size of the follicles, that after the hCG shot, I'd ovulate in 2 days - but they were wrong, I ovulated the next day, so the IUI was too late). That fact, combined with my low progesterone level of 7 on Day 7 post-IUI, convinced us that there was no way Round 1 worked, so I began to prepare for the PGD.

I'm shocked and somewhat distressed about this. In our conversation a couple of weeks ago, my RE told me flat out that if I got pregnant on Clomid, I would miscarry (which is why he switched us to IVF with PGD). At this point, I'm just waiting for the miscarriage to happen. In the meantime, I'm afraid that this will bump me off the IVF waiting list (I'm scheduled to go in late August/September). I'm literally calculating the latest possible date I can have the D&C and still make a September IVF cycle.

For some reason, the doc's office doesn't want to repeat my beta (they're probably thinking there's no way I'll keep the pregnancy?). Instead, they've scheduled me for an ultrasound next Wednesday. I don't know what that can tell me, other than (1) is it a blighted ovum, and (2) is it an ectopic pregnancy. I've had lots of cramping, but no bleeding (yet).

I just want to get this over with quickly. I'm still adjusting to the news. How bad does life suck when you're just hoping that you miscarry early and at home?

BG
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement