UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DirtyDollie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10516  
Subject: Surround sound Date: 12/26/2012 6:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Does anyone have any experience of the LG speaker systems SR906 or BH6220S? Any other suggestions around $300-400 would be good too as long as it has at least one optical input.

What else is important to look for?

Thanks in advance
DD
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10069 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/26/2012 6:44 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
It is interesting to me that when I tried to look those two systems up that I ended up on UK sites. That is unusual. Makes me wonder if these models are primarily for Europe and/or UK (in which case shipping could get expensive if you're in the US). The prices in the UK are over £ 300, which does exceed your upper price limit.

The first thing to look for, IMO, is the power rating of the speakers and of your amp/receiver. If you have a 100 W/channel amp, and these speakers are only rated to 60 W, you'll probably be watching your tweeters fly out the window pretty quickly. :-)

I did not find the speaker ratings quickly. I also have no experience with LG speakers, so can't comment on them in general either. I tend not to be a fan of these sorts of speaker "systems" because all the ones I've ever heard are too bright. But that's just personal preference. To get 5.1 on the budget you specify you probably don't have a lot of choice about that.

I would probably favor Infinity or Boston Acoustics. Both good brand speakers, in general.

Oh...and besides the power, be sure the impedance matches. If your stereo drives out so-many watts at 8 ohms then you want the speakers to be 8 ohms too. Most are, but some are 6 or even 4 ohms (last I knew). My receiver drives out 130W/channel at 8 ohms. All of my speakers can handle that, with some extra headroom since the 130W number is RMS (root-mean-square; sort of an average) but the peaks can be higher.

1poorguy

Author: RHinCT Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10070 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/26/2012 7:32 PM
...as long as it has at least one optical input.

The first thing to look for, IMO, is the power rating of the speakers and of your amp/receiver.

Wouldn't using an optical input to speakers imply they are self-powered?

Author: DirtyDollie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10071 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/26/2012 7:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I'm in the UK but often the same kit is available both sides of the pond so I thought I'd ask.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10072 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/26/2012 9:05 PM
Ollie:

Both are good yet both are rated for large rooms, i.e., more than 3,000 cubic feet. You may want to have a smaller system depending on the room size.

MichaelR

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10073 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/27/2012 12:39 AM
The specs I saw indicated a single optical connection. I had assumed (erroneously?) that it was the BR player, and not the 6 speakers (since each would need a connection). Or perhaps I misinterpreted them.

1poorguy

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10074 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/27/2012 1:16 AM
Does anyone have any experience of the LG speaker systems SR906 or BH6220S? Any other suggestions around $300-400 would be good too as long as it has at least one optical input.

What else is important to look for?

Thanks in advance

DD

Ollie, I looked at the specs on both and, if it were my choice, I would choose the BH6220S ( http://www.lg.com/uk/home-entertainment/lg-BH6220S-home-cine...) because of its connections and features such as the advanced sound codecs. It also has, although you may not use it often, a NTSC/PAL conversion (nice to have).

The other unit doesn’t have the features of the 622. It does have YPAO while the 622 doesn’t (not listed on the specs) so balancing the system may take some work but not overly so. It would be speeded if you have a SLP meter or can borrow one.

The reach of the Internet is fascinating. I am writing this at ten in the evening in Vancouver, BC and you, nine hours ahead, are just getting up.

Welcome to the board, Ollie.

MichaelR

Author: DirtyDollie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10075 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/27/2012 6:55 PM
Many thanks Michael. It's good to know someone is working for me while I'm asleep!

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10076 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/27/2012 7:39 PM
Many thanks Michael. It's good to know someone is working for me while I'm asleep!

Ollie

I read the above at 16:30 Pacific time: you’re at 13:30 Zulu and happily sawing wood.

Where’s home? I have a younger sister who lives in southern England. She and I get together through Skype – she in her housecoat ready for bed and me just having finished lunch. This time difference is a tad disconcerting.

MichelR

Author: DirtyDollie Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 10078 of 10516
Subject: Re: Surround sound Date: 12/28/2012 4:01 AM
She must be pretty close - I'm in Reading which is about 25 miles west of London (need to update my profile now I'm back from Egypt!).

Good job we have Skype - much cheaper than phone calls!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement