Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
Susan Lee, Director of East Flat Rock First Baptist Church daycare, says, “I think if you polled women the majority would want to stay at home with their children.” However due to the economic condition, Lee says many don't see home care possible.

This is another excerpt from the same article. It bothers me immensely when people cite economic conditions as a reason for not parenting their own child. If you have to work to EAT that is one matter. If you "have" to work to buy the nicer car, afford the bigger house, have nicer clothes, longer vacation, etc.... this is inexcusable, in MNTBHO. We have made many many sacrifices to have a stay at home parent. We have two old vehicles (73 truck, 84 car) that are paid for. We live in a tiny house (1000sqft) and manage our money so that we can get by on one income. DH even has the added burden of child support for his sons from a previous marriage and still we manage to have me stay home. It's all a matter of priorities. If you're single, move in with mom and dad, or auntie or good friend and schedule and prioritize so you can be there before and after school. Get a job that has split shifts so you can work during the day when kiddo is at school, work at home, work at night when kiddo is sleeping, etc. There are many creative ways to be there for your kids and still be fiscally responsible. It irks me beyond belief when I talk to moms in the park who say they "have" to work, and then leave the park in their brand-new chevy venture with the warner bro's package while packing in the kiddos wearing the latest gymboree outfit and toting their neiman marcus purse. Give me a BREAK!! I leave the park in my scrubby old honda with my wal-mart purse and my kids in nice, clean, non-designer affordable clothes. I am not bitter at all. I am proud that I learned early what my priorities are and the sacrifices are worth it since I don't have to hear about my kids day from a minimum wage daycare worker. I hear it, see it, experience it right there with them. At the end of the day I have peanut butter and jelly in my hair and marker marks on my shirt and no dry cleaning to worry about.... no business power suit!!
aagh!!
- J4
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement