No. of Recommendations: 0
Susie Q,

I agree with Paulleckler that you should contact a representative where you intend to hold the Roth account.

However I am pretty sure that you will first have to rollover into a Traditional IRA, and then convert that to a Roth, but the rep should be able to handle all of this for you.

As Paul stated you can rollover the whole amount. You can't pay the taxes out of the Roth, because you can't withdraw funds from a Roth conversion until 5 years have elapsed. I also wouldn't advise paying it out of the Traditional IRA because you will have to pay more taxes plus a 10% penalty (UGH).

Pay the taxes out of something else--it'll be worth it.

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.