No. of Recommendations: 0
All,

I picked up a Pioneer SC-1522-K 9.2 Channel receiver at Costco for $599 last weekend. It has a powerful digital amplifier with a heft transformer, so it puts out lots of power to all the channels at the same time. It sounds great. The same receiver is going for over $1,000 on Amazon. I exchanged a Yamaha HTR4065 that wasn't quite getting the job done and had a GUI that was painful to look at.

Siggie
Print the post Back To Top
No. of Recommendations: 1
Yeah, the 4065 is very different from the 1522. For one thing you went from 5.1 to 9.2 channels. A huge jump there (you didn't indicate if you're using them all). You're also getting a lot more watts per channel than the 4065. Though THD is only .01 better (.08 vs .09). Can't comment on the GUI, but Yamaha has been dinged for that in the past. I would not be surprised if the Pioneer's was nicer.

A more comparable unit to your Pioneer would be the RX-A3010. It also has 9 channels, and up to 4 zones. THD of .06 (extremely good), pushes roughly the same power as the 1522. The A3010 appears to be an outstanding unit, in fact. Suggested retail of your unit is $1599. For that I would pay the extra $400 and get the Yamaha (list $1999).

But at 1/3 the price you got a screamin' deal. Bang-for-the-buck it would be very hard to beat! Very hard, indeed. At $599, you couldn't ask for more! And you have the Costco return policy to boot!

I think you did well. Hope you enjoy it. What sort of speakers are you running?

1poorguy (knows the next thing usually is "with this better receiver I really need better speakers to show it off!!")
1poorguy,

I haven't gotten around to wiring and installing rear surrounds yet, so, right now, here is my set up:

Front L and R: B&W DM601 S2
Center: Definitive Technology C-1
Front Wide L and R: Acoustic Energy Aegis
Surround L and R: BIC America VK-6IO
Sub 1: Definitive Technology 200TL
Sub 2: Bic Formula F12

I have a pair of small Boston Acoustics speakers I will probably use as the rear surrounds. I also have a B&W CC3 center that I may look into using as a center rear surround. I don't quite understand surround systems beyond 5.1 yet.

The Pioneer has preouts for each channel, so, just for sport, I am driving the center with an old Rotel stereo amp that I have bridged.

If anyone has advice on 7.1 or 9.1 surround setup, I'd love to hear it.

Siggie
I've never done a setup that large. My receiver is 7.1, but I'm only using 5.1. The other two will (eventually...maybe...hopefully) power zone 2 (for house audio).

I didn't notice, or it wasn't obvious, but hopefully your Pioneer has some automatic speaker calibration comparable to YPAO. I would think that would take care of most of your setup (especially since I don't think your present speaker set is timbre-matched).

You'll have to let us know when you have it all set up, and have tested it out with something cool (I hear Master and Commander is really good for that).

1poorguy
I've got my old small pair of Boston Acoustics for my surrounds. They do an admirable job though they don't have all that new fangled ability to switch from dipole to bipole (or whatever pole it's called). My larger BAs I used for my stereo are now the mains and still used for my stereo... one of the advantages of an up to date AVR.

Your Pioneer sounds really sweet. I am sure it will give you great satisfaction.

No real advice, I do have a 7.1 set-up now but still only one sub, another BA. All I can suggest is just experiment with the placement of your surrounds, leave enough wire to try them in a few spots. I've got mine hanging from the ceiling beams and pointed down at us at about a 30 degree angle.

RM
(I hear Master and Commander is really good for that).

I hadn't heard that and it's playing on one of those movie channels right now, too. I'll have to try it.

I've found LoTR sounds really nice on mine, too.

RM
I hadn't heard that and it's playing on one of those movie channels right now, too. I'll have to try it.

Michael always talked about using the disc. Not sure if the movie channels will be as good. But can't hurt!
Thanks, RM.

I haven't had time to watch a movie for the last few weeks, much less install speakers. I also have an issue with my second sub. It is has a signal sensing automatic power function that can not be overridden, and I can't get it to work.

Someday, I hope to have a few free hours to get everything going.

Siggie
Advertisement