UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFDoraemon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 65784  
Subject: Switched Date: 4/5/2006 12:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Hey Folks,

As you may have read on our main site I recently picked up a MacBook Pro and have switched over. I'm familiar with some of the basics in Unix from previous work experience in college (though that seems like a long time ago now) and I have my new mac all set up with the basics that I need. What I'd really like to know is what are a few apps (freeware preferred, because I'm fairly cheap ;-)) that folks just can't imagine living without? I'm curious to see what's out there.

Best,

Nate

by the way, this board is a tremendous resource -- you folks should be proud.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: txbuckeye Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32490 of 65784
Subject: Re: Switched Date: 4/5/2006 12:57 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23653820&sort=whole

Author: TMFDoraemon Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32491 of 65784
Subject: Re: Switched Date: 4/5/2006 1:03 AM
txbuckeye,

Thanks much!

Nate

Author: Chopec Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32500 of 65784
Subject: Re: Switched Date: 4/5/2006 11:33 AM
Recommendations: 1
Congrats on the MacBook Pro. I'm still trying to come up with a good reason to buy myself a new toy.

I agree with most of the earlier thread except for the backup solutions. But then, my Macs are working machines, and I'll really suffer if they go down and I don't have a robust backup procedure. For that, there's only one solution: Retrospect (not the Express version). Your usage may be different.

I use NetNewsWire for a newsreader, but the open source (and free) Vienna is quite good, too. I don't know if it's Universal yet, but since it's open source, I bet it will be, soon.

BBEdit is an excellent text editor, if you need that sort of thing. There used to be a free version called BBEdit Lite, but it's been replaced by TextWrangler (which is fully functional but still free). See http://www.barebones.com/ .

I use Mail for email handling; for a long time I used Mailsmith. Mailsmith is good if you like programming and lots of arcane filters. But it doesn't work with Spotlight, and that became a deciding factor for me. However, I wouldn't use Mail without the plug-in Mail Act-On.

The rest of my "can't live without" programs are work-specific, and probably not of interest to you. They also cost a fortune.

Chopec

Author: zigmund555 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32502 of 65784
Subject: Re: Switched Date: 4/5/2006 12:48 PM
Recommendations: 1
I like:

Firefox :)

Quicksilver - A launcher program http://quicksilver.blacktree.com/

FlipforMac - Play .wmv files in quicktime. http://www.flipformac.com

VLCMediaPlayer - Catches the random file that FlipforMac might miss.*

Onyx - Run maintenance/optimization tasks by GUI.*

Any number of dashboard widgets http://www.apple.com/downloads/dashboard/

* - www.versiontracker.com all sorts of neat little programs

Author: crassfool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 32503 of 65784
Subject: Re: Switched Date: 4/5/2006 12:49 PM
TMFDoraemon says

As you may have read on our main site I recently picked up a MacBook Pro and have switched over. I'm familiar with some of the basics in Unix from previous work experience in college (though that seems like a long time ago now) and I have my new mac all set up with the basics that I need. What I'd really like to know is what are a few apps (freeware preferred, because I'm fairly cheap ;-)) that folks just can't imagine living without? I'm curious to see what's out there.

Google Earth, free download from Google.

OmniGraffle and OmniOutliner ($80 and $40 respectively)

crassfool

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement