UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 189860  
Subject: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 7:14 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hi, all, started a new thread to ask for recommendations. It seems that Windows 7 also supports resolution of the screen in portrait mode, so all I need is a monitor that swivels into that position. I realized that I've been searching for the wrong thing. I've done searches on "pivoting monitors", and always returned very few results. Now I realize that the term is swivel. There are a lot of them. Gordon, you are right, they are a bit more expensive but not too terribly.

That said, one such monitor is available at Newegg, and it's an Asus:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236...

Have any of you ever used an Asus monitor? Any thoughts? I do like Samsung, LG and HP monitors, but have never really looked at an Asus. I suppose I could go to my local Office Depot and try to view one, but it's hard to get an idea without seeing it in real conditions. So I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks,

Rita
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176975 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 9:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
"Have any of you ever used an Asus monitor? Any thoughts?"

They're fine - and today Staples has a couple for $109 ish price.
Samsungs are great - I have a couple but little beats the bang for buck fo the 2 27.5" diag iInc's I have - they offer the too rare 1200 vertical pixel (by 1920Horiz) for only $250 and you get spoiled real fast with resolution & size for that price (I work on them all day doing CAD & eng design and for play with games, high res photo & HD video editing. I get those at Microcenter.
B

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176976 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 10:30 AM
Rita,

If I'm reading the specs correctly the monitor you have listed only tilts 15 degrees and swivels 45, not the 90 degrees you are hoping for if I am understanding what you are looking for.

Kurt

Author: xSixSigmaMBB Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176977 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 11:28 AM
I know most of the HP monitors can tilt and swivel by default as they are the monitors we use at work...

Check out this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176...

Or this one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002...

These are the ones we use at work...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176...
They are MUCH more expensive, but are AMAZING to look at for very long periods of time...

xSSMBB

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176978 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 11:39 AM
Kurt said:

If I'm reading the specs correctly the monitor you have listed only tilts 15 degrees and swivels 45, not the 90 degrees you are hoping for if I am understanding what you are looking for.

I'm not sure where you see that in the specs; I don't see those numbers. I was looking at the description of it: Height, Swivel, Pivot and Tilt adjustable.

I've priced some others, Asus and HP, as well. For all that are helping me look at these and suggesting options, I really appreciate it. However, when I described my needs as something for my office, I didn't make clear that *I* am buying the monitor; my office (non-profit agency) can't or won't buy me anything special, so I'm doing it on my own. I need to get the cheapest but best that I can.

Rita

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176979 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 11:41 AM
I know most of the HP monitors can tilt and swivel by default as they are the monitors we use at work...

Thanks for the links, I did look at the HP for $199 and the NEC. Just trying to save a few more $$$, that's why I was also looking at the Asus. I already have a 20" HP, and really like it, but as I said I'm trying to save a little. My HP doesn't swivel, though.

rita

Author: TwoCybers Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176980 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 12:11 PM
Rita monitors are a personal item and the specs generally don't cover differences you and other will see. Particularly if you are going to get 2, I urge you to go to store and look at the monitor. While nobody wants to overspend, monitors in my experience last a long time. So spending a few more bucks over a 5 to 8 year life is not much cost on an annual basis. Keep in mind the monitor's light is from a fluorescence or LED bulb. The fluorescent bulb will have a life in the range of 10s of thousands of hours. If you leave the sucker on 7/24 after a few years you will exceed its expected life. But if you let your OS turn the monitor off after 20 or 30 minutes of inactivity, it will last years longer.

Gordon
Atlanta

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176981 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 1:35 PM
Yes, Gordon, I know you are right. A Mac user is probably in an especially good position to know how individual these tastes are. After all, the debates continue to rage over the glossy screen vs. the matte screens, years after Apple started using the glossy ones. I happen to like glossy.

I also have to realize that what one person would recommend based on refresh rate or color clarity doesn't mean as much when I plan to use it for reading text.

so thanks everyone, and I'm sure I can find a good deal from the ones I've scouted.

Rita

Author: Kurtv Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176982 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 3:18 PM
From the link you provided, below the overview section:

Versatile Position for Personal Visual Comfort It’s easy for you to reach a desired viewing angle with support of pivot, tilt (+15°~-5°), height adjustment and swivel (45°) functions.

There is also a tiny picture of a monitor showing the various positions. I'm not so sure you didn't have it correct the first time when you called what you are looking for "pivot".

Kurt

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176983 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 4:04 PM
tilt (+15°~-5°)

I think that is to tilt the top toward/away from you (for glare, better angle to see screen, etc).

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176984 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 4:10 PM
Recommendations: 1
I doubt the Asus does what you want. If it did work in both landscape AND portrait modes, they would be showing it because that is a major feature--AND they would unambigously state it in the specs. It is NOT mentioned or shown anywhere. Hence, it probably does NOT work in both modes from what I can tell.

The key words are "landscape AND portrait mode"--same as with printing.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176985 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 4:25 PM
Option 1: Buy a monitor *stand* that can rotate any physical monitor 90 degrees.

Option 2: How big an image you need to view in portrait mode? That is the key factor because a 24" LCD monitor can show an 11" x 17" image "full size" in standard landscape mode.

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176987 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/25/2011 9:13 PM
jerryab,

I looked at the specs for lots of monitors today. They seem to differentiate from each other by using of terms tilt, swivel, pivot. There were those that specified tilt only, and then these that I looked at that specified tilt, swivel and/or pivot. The HPs that another poster linked above don't show the portrait orientation in the product pictures, either, but that poster says he has used these.

Not a single of the monitors that I looked at specify portrait and landscape, or even just landscape. I have to believe that the terms pivot and swivel mean what they mean. I guess I can always call the companies and ask.

Also, thanks for the suggestion about the monitor stand. I went and searched for these on Amazon. I don't know if I want to go that route if these monitors I've priced will actually do what I want.

You mentioned that a 24" monitor will show an 11 X 17 inch image. That's good to know. I don't need that much screen space; most of the PDFs are scans of letter size documents, sometimes legal size. It's nice to have the extra space, though.

Thanks for the thoughts, all the comments have helped,

Rita

Author: tketola Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176992 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/26/2011 8:50 AM
Hey Rita,,,

you said:

"I also have to realize that what one person would recommend based on refresh rate or color clarity doesn't mean as much when I plan to use it for reading text."

Well, maybe you don't care about Color clarity but you should make sure the Refresh-Rate is adequate!!! Low Refresh-Rate can lead to Eye Fatigue.

Most good monitors today do have adequate Refresh-Rates, that should at least be capable of, up to or in, 75-85/KHz range. Some more expensive monitor can refresh at and up to 100-120/KHz.

Read here:

http://www.quickonlinetips.com/archives/2005/03/change-refre...

and here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

(Snipped)

"Ever have headaches after staring at your screen?
Maybe your computers monitors screens refresh rate is too low and your screen flickers. Many users are used to the flicker, or your eyes are not sensitive enough to detect it, but the flicker is there. And till it flickers, it will irritate your eyes and cause eye strain. Higher refresh rates are less likely to cause eyestrain"

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refresh_rate

Also note,,,,

"Different operating systems set the default refresh rate differently. Microsoft Windows 95 and Windows 98 (First and Second Editions) set the refresh rate to the highest rate that they believe the display supports. Windows NT-based operating systems, such as Windows 2000 and its descendants Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, set the default refresh rate to a "conservative" rate, usually 60 Hz. The many variations of Linux usually set a refresh rate chosen by the user during setup of the display manager (although a default option is usually included with xfree86). Some full-screen applications, including some games, allow the user to reconfigure the refresh rate before entering full-screen mode, but most default to a "conservative" resolution and refresh rate and let you increase the settings in the options."

Just my 2 cents...

TK...

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176993 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/26/2011 9:56 AM
Hi, TK, you are right about the flicker and refresh rate. In fact, one reason I went out and bought my own monitor for work is that the old one, a Dell (it was a cheap Dell set up) did flicker and did cause a lot of strain.

Of course, what I meant mostly is that I don't need the fastest monitor like a gamer would. That's what I've been reading about as far as the differences among all the specs.

Thanks for reminding me, though!

Rita

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176995 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/26/2011 10:28 AM
You mentioned that a 24" monitor will show an 11 X 17 inch image. That's good to know. I don't need that much screen space; most of the PDFs are scans of letter size documents, sometimes legal size. It's nice to have the extra space, though.

I have a 24" monitor (max res of 1920 x 1200--but I run it at 1440 x 900). The actual screen is about 12.5" x 20.5". Take your tape measure to the store and check the actual dimensions of the monitors you like and go from there. Screens do vary in dimensions, so check each one. The monitor I use is taller than most--because the screen is taller and not as wide--yet it has the 16:10 (1920 x 1200) or 16:9 (1920 x 1080) display ratio.

A friend does DTP and we use the same make + model monitor. It is now discontinued--so look for a different brand. Mine is 4 yrs old.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176996 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/26/2011 11:24 AM
I don't need that much screen space; most of the PDFs are scans of letter size documents, sometimes legal size. It's nice to have the extra space, though.

This is the important part of your post--you are reading *scanned* PDF documents. You do not *need* a resolution higher than the scan-rate (because that is the *best* you can see--their scan resolution). Usually 300dpi or 600 dpi, I would guess. As ALL the monitors are far higher resolution than these scans, pick one you like and go for it. Are you doing data-entry? If so, then the keyboard and data-entry/image control software also make a large difference in your productivity.

Author: rita205 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176997 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/26/2011 3:01 PM
No, not really doing any data entry, no spreadsheets. Other than reading, working with the PDFs of scanned documents, I would use the portrait orientation to read research materials. I might use it to compose in Word, but probably will do my composition on the existing monitor.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 176998 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/26/2011 9:13 PM
Now you know what you need to do--know the maximum resolution of what you receive as scanned documents. As long as your monitor can handle that maximum resolution, the rest is convenience for ease of reading.

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 177009 of 189860
Subject: Re: Swiveling Monitors - Recommendation? Date: 11/27/2011 1:46 PM
Rita:

One thing to consider is getting a standard monitor and using a swiveling VESA mount.

As explained by Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_Display_Mounting_Interface...
"VESA mount, is a family of standards defined by the Video Electronics Standards Association for mounting flat panel monitors, TVs, and other displays to stands or wall mounts."

Since it's a standard, you can buy any almost VESA mounting stand or bracket and use it with almost any monitor or TV. (I say "almost" because there are actually multiple VESA standards to handle very big displays, but you're not likely to be getting a 50-inch monitor, are you?)

The beauty of this solution is that you don't have to limit yourself to displays with a built-in swivel. And if your display ever dies, you can reuse the mount for your next display.

Here's a wall mount for just $10 that swivels and accommodates three common sizes of VESA mounts: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YRW7N0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?...

Here's one that clamps onto a desk: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MK68AE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?...

If you go with this solution, make sure that:
#1: The weight of the display doesn't exceed the limit of the mount, and
#2: The mount accommodates the VESA size of your monitor.

The most common size is probably 100mm, meaning that the distance between the screws is 100mm.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (20) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement