Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19257  
Subject: Re: Retire but keep job for now? Date: 3/31/2001 11:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Swordpen writes:

I know about the limits and how that works, my question is simply that while on the job full time, do I have to quit & declare that I'm retiring before I go for SS? Is there any rule about that? I think the rule applies to yrly. income as opposed to monthly? My plan was to sgn up while working, collect salary AND SS until job income reaches limit, then quit job. Is this fuzzy math?

The SSA uses a different method to compute your first-year benefit, or the benefit that starts after you "quit" work. Here's what the SSA says:

When entitlement to benefits begins or ends during the year, many people work in months before or after entitlement. We use a monthly test to consider these earnings. The monthly earnings test provides that a person can receive full benefits for any month in which he or she does not earn wages over one-twelfth of the annual exempt amount and does not perform substantial services in self-employment. We pay benefits in these months regardless of the amount by which the person's earnings exceed the annual exempt amount.

We use the monthly earnings test in the first year that a person does not work over the monthly limit in at least 1 month. We also use the monthly test for the year benefits end for children (including students) or parents who get benefits because they are caring for a young or disabled child.

UNQUOTE

After December 31 of the initial benefit year is over, then the ordinary earnings test comes into play.

Regards...Pixy

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement