Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 11

Jubak discusses the burn rate of various companies. Here is his opinion on Sycamore's.

<<You can see now why the size of the cash position on Sycamore Networks' balance sheet is important to investors. If the company had just, say, $200 million in the bank, I'd have to worry about the company running out of cash in less than a year. But with a balance of almost $1 billion to draw on, Sycamore Networks isn't in any danger of running out of cash even if business continues to falter and the burn rate climbs to $100 million a quarter. If I were an investor in Sycamore, I wouldn't lose sleep worrying about the company's financial survival. I could concentrate my concern on the company's troubled optical switch and the burn rate at its much less well-funded customers. Sycamore has enough cash and liquid investments in hand to cover even that higher rate of loss for another 10 quarters. I don't know anyone who thinks the current downturn in technology business will go on that long. Investors are likely to lose patience with such losses long before Sycamore runs out of cash to fund its business.>>

Print the post  

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.