Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: splotto Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 649  
Subject: SYSTEM GUIDE: Tech Report Date: 2/29/2008 9:47 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello:

I always enjoy reading the system guides put out by the various hardware sites. Personally I prefer the guides by Ars Technica (http://arstechnica.com/guides/buyer/guide-200801.ars) and AnandTech.

The guides always help me find hardware in an area where I may not be able to keep as up to date as with other areas.

Here is the most recent guide by Tech Report.

http://www.techreport.com/articles.x/14225

Splotto
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFSkiii Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 636 of 649
Subject: Re: SYSTEM GUIDE: Tech Report Date: 3/10/2008 10:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Hey splotto, those are useful guides, I like the "godbox", and they have a nice write up on Vista 32 vs. 64 bit at the end of the second link. I didn't realize 64 had extra security features and some reduced backward compatability too.

Author: splotto Big gold star, 5000 posts 10+ Year Anniversary! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 637 of 649
Subject: Re: SYSTEM GUIDE: Tech Report Date: 3/11/2008 11:11 AM
Recommendations: 0
Hey splotto, those are useful guides, I like the "godbox", and they have a nice write up on Vista 32 vs. 64 bit at the end of the second link. I didn't realize 64 had extra security features and some reduced backward compatability too.

I always enjoy reading those guides. They always let me fantasize about some monster machine. :-)

They are also always a good source when thinking about upgrades. I specifically like the Ars guides because the decisions are hashed out in their forums before they post the guide so you usually get the 'best bang for the buck' hardware items in each catagory.

The GODBOX used to be a little more 'accessible' to mortals like us. For example, for a while it was always just a solid dual CPU rig on a server board from Tyan or SuperMicro and it was not always as expensive as it is now.

Splotto

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement